Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How slow are you pushing 55gr bullets?

JatCarver

And how often have you seen Kurt at "his local match" since the 300 yard range got closed? I'm pretty sure that he doesn't run that match any longer either.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am re-thinking the whole light-load thing after the USPSA Nats. I have been using xm193 equiv loads in my AR for quite some time, and 77gr Noslers for distance work since my last barrel replacement ( new barrel only shoots 2-3 MOA with 55s). At the Natty, I had been too busy to load up 77s, and was running low on my normal 55s. I did, however, have on hand a big pile of Freedom 55gr .223 loads. My plan was to use the .223s for hosing, and save the 5.56s for the long range, since I at least knew where they would hit, albeit with less than stellar groups. Long story short, with the JP light carrier and buffer and gas tuned to the xm193 type loads, the .223s were noticeably slow in cycling the action, and ruined my timing on double-taps. I found myself slowing down a bunch so I could adjust for the second shot since the gun wasn't tracking right. I know I could tune the gas to run faster with the light ammo, but then it would batter the gun with 77s. Just too much difference between bunnyfart loads and any usable long distance ammo. I suppose if I were shooting 3GN pro matches with no distance work, I would probably build an upper just for weenie loads. But since I am not even close to pro status, I would rather have a predictable system that runs with ammo I can use out to 400.

BTW, for the last day of the match I went back to the xm193 equivalent loads since I had enough to finish out, and my shot speed went back to normal. Amazing how much 200fps can totally change the personality of an AR.

Edited by openclassterror