Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transition from 1911 to a

Peplow530

I was thinking of picking up a 2011 pistol in .40 cal to be more competitive in USPSA matches. I have been a fan of 1911 with most of my shooting experience although have never shot a 2011.

How comfortable is it switching from one to the other? I assume with the double stack it feels a lot bulkier in hand. Do all the controls feel about the same to manipulate?

I was just wondering if I was going to regret spending 2,600.00 on a BarSto BS40 or absolutely love it.

It isn't all that different in grip profile. The angle is the same, which to me controls how it points. Controls will feel the same.

If it bothers you, various vendors can do a grip reduction for you, or its not that hard to DIY.

After shooting both, I find myself wanting thicker grips for my single stack as I like the 2011 profile better.

The balance on an edge style gun will be quite different than the 1911, but many people prefer it more nose heavy.

I love the 2011 platform, but that said, unless you are currently competing with something that is sub optimal (i.e. shooting a limited gun that holds less than 18, a compact 1911 in single stack, etc) buying a new gun isn't going to make you any more competitive. What are your goals, or what are you hoping to accomplish by purchasing the gun?

2011's have similar fore and aft grip dimensions, but are somewhat blockier than their 1911 counterparts. As mentioned, some of that blockiness can be reduced by shaving down the serrations on the 2011's grip especially in the front strap. Short dust cover 2011's are lighter than SDC 1911's, but that is largely offset with the increased capacity so when fully loaded they weigh pretty close (or maybe even more) than a loaded 1911.

Other than that, 2011 and 1911's feel about the same to me. I use the same length of trigger on both, and manipulating the safeties feels about the same to me.

I love the 2011 platform, but that said, unless you are currently competing with something that is sub optimal (i.e. shooting a limited gun that holds less than 18, a compact 1911 in single stack, etc) buying a new gun isn't going to make you any more competitive. What are your goals, or what are you hoping to accomplish by purchasing the gun?

Currently I am competing with my IDPA guns, a minor government 1911 in 9mm or a CZ 75B SA in minor. So overall when speaking of "being more competitive" I was thinking of something along the lines of Limited Major. And being very used to my 1911s, I figured a 2011 would be a good option.

Edited by Peplow530

I just moved from a 45 single stack to a 40 Eagle with an Extreme Shooters small grip. The learning curve is basically nil. 1 reload per stage beats the heck out of 4or 5 in SS. Recoil is comparable and all the controls are the same. Plus I shoot a lot of IDPA and 130 PF loads are ridiculously soft. Only about 500 rounds through the double stack but I'm actually starting to prefer the grip.

2011 vs 1911 with standard grips.

b8e2a6a7c70df707fe2d9bc1e9254a68.jpg

This diagram is helpful. What does the dotted line represent? is that the front strap which would make the solid front line a magwell? Edited by Peplow530