Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bul-M5

Batman

I have been holding my breath now for amost 2 years waiting on CD to bring in these guns. Guess it's about time to dial 911. Dealer cost on the .40 Government Model is only $570. Guess that's why I keep waiting. Let's see that is over $1,000 less than the STI/SVI guns. What is wrong with this picture. Can we say overpriced?

I have been holding my breath now for amost 2 years waiting on CD to bring in these guns. Guess it's about time to dial 911. Dealer cost on the .40 Government Model is only $570. Guess that's why I keep waiting. Let's see that is over $1,000 less than the STI/SVI guns. What is wrong with this picture. Can we say overpriced?

Joe D:

Will these be available only thru Charles Daly? If so, will the slides have "Charles Daly" engraved into them?

Thanks...

Hi Rhino,

The Kimber polymer wide grips were made by Bul for Kimber ;)

As Cousin BulM540 mentioned, the current Kimber frames are not Bul Transmark products. Although, it is my understanding that they use the same magazines.

Anyone know if Mec-Gar will be making replacement "normal cap" .40 mags for the Bul 1911 and the Para? How about for the SPS and S_I? Anyone care to post a range report on the Bul .40 once they begin shipping? Thanks,

D.

Guest Larry Cazes

Come on now.....This is isnt really an accurate comparison. Might as well compare a box stock P16-40 to an edge. There is very little similiarity in build and part quality.

Anyone know if Mec-Gar will be making replacement "normal cap" .40 mags for the Bul 1911 and the Para? How about for the SPS and S_I? Anyone care to post a range report on the Bul .40 once they begin shipping? Thanks,

D.

I don't know about Bul, but they're already doing them for Para. The .45 mags hold 13 and are just a little shorter than factory Para mags.

Hmmm ... I wonder if Entreprise will start making their guns again, now that magazines aren't a problem.

"Hmmm ... I wonder if Entreprise will start making their guns again, now that magazines aren't a problem. "

I hope so, Rhino. I saw one once in Area 8 that was for sale & it appeared to be of excellent quality. I am all in favor of new technology (thought the Enterprise did appear to be quite similar to Para but made from US steel) and more options in Limited. For general USPSA shooter use one year from now, maybe we will see:

-Enterprise .40 Limited

-Bul .40 Limited

-Caspian .40 Limited

-Springfield Armory .40 Limited like TGO shoots - if they would only make it into a general production item rather than custom shop only

and a few dark horses:

-CZ "TS" Limited 40 (similar to Standar IPSC)

-Sig X-5

-Tanfoglio Limited .40

I love my SV, but innovation will only benefit the shooter & I would like to have more choices than just S_I. Yes, I did see Sevigny's finish at the FL open. I will not be selling my SV for a glock however. Thanks for the heads up on the Mec Gars. Regards,

C.

I have also been waiting for the CD to import the Bul in 40. I was just trying to get a head start on the gear. I already have a Bul in 45. purchased a few years ago and for the money no gun can compare. How the saying goes SWeeeeeeeeT. I am using Kimber mags at this time. but Kimber does have 40's.

Larry, please educate me as to why a STI/SVI is worth a $1,000 more than a BUL M5. Actually $1,200 more.

Let's see, both have plastic frames, forged slides, ramped bull barrel, high rise BTs and the list goes on. A STI at $1,000 would be a reasonable price.

Guest Larry Cazes

Now don't get me wrong, I never said I didnt like the BUL design or think that it is not suitable for heavy competition use but that was definitely NOT an apples to apples comparison that was made. Um..Let see. How about obvious differences in fit, finish, performance, and quality of materials to name just a few. A full custom gun vs. assembly line production......There really is NO comparison and due to the extra work and handling that goes into the STI/SV the prices will never be the same. By the way, both STI and SV frames are steel. The grip is polymer but thats it. Quite honestly, My main complaint about polymer framed guns is that they are not balanced well by design. In my experience, there is just too much unmatched weight above the centerline of your wrist/hand which creates a lot of torque and muzzle rise. Aside from the STI/SV modular frame, I actually prefer the para or caspian to the BUL or wilson polymer double stack frames.

I have handled and shot several STI guns. I honestly did not see anything special about the fit and finish. The barrel and slide to frame fit was no better than my Kimbers. The finish was certainly no better. I have not handled one of the new BUL M5s so I really cannot comment on how well they are put together. I have shot a couple of the old models made for Kimber. The fit and finish on those were just as good as the STIs.

Ok -I'm about to throw some dirt in Bul's way....and it will malfunction.

Even though I consider myself to be somewhat of a patriot, I don't see how you can compare Bul to STI/SV/SPS. The finish, as mentioned earlier, quality of materials, and more important - performance.

I'm going to tell you a little, "secret", and probably someone will avenge me for doing so - The Bul pistols, you guys use around the globe, are in most cases, top notch. And the simple reason is, Bul, knows it has to export quality products in mint condition outside the borders of our country - It's a different story, however, when it comes to local production, and many fellow shooters of mine will testify. There is no quality assurance. Period. Something you, in the States or Europe would never accept from handgun manufacturing companies - but we have to, because most of us have nothing else to use, and must come to terms with the grim situation.

I'll stop here, because I don't believe in damaging one's reputation - and I'll conclude with this : Bul makes decent guns, and if a gun works, it works, but Bul is no STI/SVI/SPS, just like Sellier and Bellot is no Lapua.