Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting Dillon SDB

How difficult is it to convert a SDB? Not talking the very first time. More like when it becomes routine after a couple swaps.

I currently have 2 SDBs. One is 9mm and the other is .45. I want to begin loading .38 on a Dillon and take them off of my Lee Turret. I'd be swapping the 9mm back and forth to stay with the SP primer system.

No internals or anything else to change?

The dies literally drop in under the toolhead. Other than adjusting the bullet seating depth and crimp nut, it's all swapping out parts.

If you buy another toolhead. Once you set the adjustments, it'll be just like jmorris said. 5 bolts and done.

Went and bought the .38/.357 conversion, powder measure and toolhead today. Just a little over $200 OTD. I have a big run of 9mm to do and then I'll be switching for the first time. Now to come up with a stand to hold the extra toolhead when not in use.

For my SD's I use ziplock bags to hold everything, tool head, dies, powder bar (I use the same measure and just swap out the pre set bars, yeah I'm cheap sometimes) and locator pins.

Keeps everything together and you don't need a stand and a cover for the stand to hold everything and keep dust away. Also fits better in a drawer, enough "stuff" on the benches already.

Edited by jmorris

^^^

What I do also. I have three conversions, each with all pertinent parts bagged together. It all fits with room to spare in a 8"x8"x3" cardboard box stowed under my bench.

I only have one measure, so I have to diddle the powder bar, but I'm have several loads for each caliber so I'm used to that.