Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB Mounting

I've got my first Dillon on the way - a square deal b to replace my lee turret and would like to get my bench ready. I'm hoping I can find answers to a couple of questions here. How thick is the base of the SDB - I mean how long do my mounting bolts need to be in addition to my bench thickness. Also, my bench has a ¾ inch thick top with a 2x4 under the edge with no overhang. Am I likely to have to cut a notch in the 2x4 to have room for the handle to move or should I be good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, my SDB base is .38" thick.

Your 2x4 from your description will be a problem possibly. The primer catch assembly will more than like hit the 2x4. I would highly recommend waiting to you get the press and take your time with a mock-up. Use some C-Clamps to test and check. Then Drill Mod as needed.

I skipped all of this on my last bench build and purchased some universal plates from Inline. One of the best things I ever did when it comes to mounting presses. Nothing against the strong mount, but I like my presses lower than some and the plates are great. Check the Enos link below.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206216&hl=

RT

Until 9x45 posted the photo above I forgot that Dillon changed the design of the press frame at some point.

The old ones didn't have the rib that goes back to the rear bolt, your going to need a longer bolt for it than the front two. Unless your press is used and of the old design.

This is the old style.

DSC02176.jpg

Edited by jmorris

It's far easier to just buy the Dillon strong mount.

image36604.jpg

Yes, it is easy, but easy is one thing, if the press is too high is another. I find the strong mount is too high for MY situation. I like to sit on a swivel stool to reload and the height is just right for me.

In addition, the inline mount allows me to mount several different presses on one plate. So I only drill one set of holes in the bench. I can move my presses all around depending on my wants and needs at the time.

if anyone wants a bargain version of the inline plate setup you can do what I do and mount my presses to a piece of sleeper. it's about 2.5inches thick. I found the front 2 bolt holes are the same for my 650 and my lee turret and my lee loadmaster. the rear holes are different but don't interfere with each other. I then clamp that sleeper to the bench where I need it.

Here's a couple of pics. Bench is secured to the wall and leveled off with the adjustable feet. With the mass of the nice big piece of wood clamped securely to the bench it's very stable.

I'm lazy and like to load sitting down too. :)

This makes it very easy to move the press off the bench or swap them around. On the second sleeper I have mounted the classic turret (which I use least) and a swivel vice on the side, very handy). The sleeper with the 650 can be swapped to the loadmaster in about 2 min. :)

PS, forgive the mess. I probably should have taken pics at a time other than when I was reorganising/cleaning up..... :blush:

post-50660-0-16466100-1428456682_thumb.j

post-50660-0-67912800-1428456696_thumb.j

post-50660-0-93485300-1428456886_thumb.j

post-50660-0-12750300-1428456916_thumb.j

post-50660-0-39727200-1428456928_thumb.j

post-50660-0-60505800-1428456940_thumb.j

Edited by BeerBaron

I wasn't going to go any further than trying to have appropriate bolts available. I saw some pics where people had to cut a notch for a 550 but wasn't sure about SDB. Will be ordering an inline fab mount if I have to or just a scrap board to move the press away from the edge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk