Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 mag well options for slim grips

MickB

I think the Wilson Combat magwell that attaches via the bushing screws would work well with slim grips. I've been running one on my Les Baer for a number of years now and it has been a great product. It's never moved on me or loosened up. I was skeptical at first, but didn't want to swap out the Baer MSH, so I figured I'd give it a try. My regular thickness grips stick out beyond the magwell at the center of the grips, a slim profile grip would probably be ideal. The only fitting required is that you have to recess the rear of the grips a bit to get a good fit over the hooks the Wilson magwell uses to mount.

I think the Wilson Combat magwell that attaches via the bushing screws would work well with slim grips. I've been running one on my Les Baer for a number of years now and it has been a great product. It's never moved on me or loosened up. I was skeptical at first, but didn't want to swap out the Baer MSH, so I figured I'd give it a try. My regular thickness grips stick out beyond the magwell at the center of the grips, a slim profile grip would probably be ideal. The only fitting required is that you have to recess the rear of the grips a bit to get a good fit over the hooks the Wilson magwell uses to mount.

What tool did you use to remove material from the grips? I've got one of these going on my back up gun and will need to recess the grip panels I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

What tool did you use to remove material from the grips? I've got one of these going on my back up gun and will need to recess the grip panels I'm sure.

Used a dremel and went slow. Drew out the pattern with a pencil, did most removal with a dremel, and cleaned up any areas that weren't fitting with a hand file. This was on a set of Baer cocobolo grips, but I assume the same would be true with G10.

Edited by tha1000

A router would be the simplest, but you don't have to recess it much for the grips to fit over the Wilson magwell. Maybe 1mm~. You can do it all by hand and it shouldn't take too terribly long.

Edited by tha1000

DO NOT inhale the fibres from G10 material

Mick

true. same can be said of walnut and any number of woods.

So you're telling me I have mesothelioma now? I held my breath for the most part. Thought about getting my respirator, but it was late and I didn't. Hopefully I don't pay for this one later!

Edited by ArrDave