Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blowing Up a Gun

mattx

...No I didn't do it.

I've been reading through load data on here, and there's some accepted loads then you get into the grey area where one guy/gal is shooting something that another guy says is unsafe. I'm OK with moving slightly and slowly outside of book max loads and looking for pressure signs, but I'm very curious as to what anecdotal or actually tested data where individuals have actually blown up guns (typical competition handguns, not magnum revolvers) from a strictly overpressure situations.

Has anybody witnessed this happening or even heard about it happening unintentionally?

Has anybody witnessed or heard about any controlled tests where guns were intentionally blown up?

I think the vast majority of blown guns we read about are from reloading accidents rather than pushing the envelope too far. i.e. attention lapse causes a double charge or squib, accidental use of the wrong powder, etc.

A buddy tried loading his BRAND-NEW .40 2011 with 9mm ammo. Left a whole 9mm round in the barrel and dropped the hammer on a .40 round behind it. Didn't go well...

I would agree that most of the kabooms we see are related to mistakes rather than calculated above "max" loads to make PF.

I blew up my Glock and had to replace a few parts that got lost when I had a case head separation. Case had a crack at the base so it came apart when fired. Like most KABOOMS it was a case of failure to properly check the case prior to reloading it rather than trying to push the limits of the loading manual.

Ya the vast majority of them are not just loading a little hot etc but reloading errors and or shooter errors. Reloading errors are often using the wrong powder(more common when the same powder drop is used for all die sets over having a complete set), not paying attention and double charging a load(look how many people post pictures of a loading bench with a tv over it). it is also trying to just crank out rounds as fast as possible with a bullet and case feeder and not looking to verify the powder is where it should be by physically looking as you place the case. On shooter error, its often associated with a squib or other bad round and not realizing it and either racking the slide and pulling the trigger again or pounding on the slide to get the round to go into battery with one stuck etc. Actual guns blown up by a load that was worked up properly is rare i would say