Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for 9mm

krazykj03

Hi i was wondering if you have more pistols you load for do you load each one to there certain OAL, or do you load them all with then same OAL. I just wanted to know because i know certain pistols have shorter or longer OAL. For me i have xd9, m&p9 and a cz sp01. Since the CZ has a shorter OAL will those work on the other pistols? i dont want to redo the OAL for each pistol i will shoot i just want to reload 9mm with 1 OAL and have all of them run it. What are your guys thoughts.

Tailor your load for the gun that has the shortest OAL.

Then test it in your other guns for function and signs for over pressure.

If all checks out, your good to go.

All my practice ammo and plinking ammo is tailored for my Glocks, which is what I carry, and to function in my suppressed 9mm SBR AR. I have a complete seperate toolhead and dies for my incoming 9mm Major Open gun.

That said, since you have three completely different guns, you might have accuracy issues across the different platforms just due to what the guns prefer.

My glock mags are the limiting factor for me 1.150 OAL so i load everything to that length. Works great in my 1911, M&P, XDM, and of course Glock. I have also used 1.135 with the same result. Im sure I could fine tune the loads for the guns but I didn't find the need. They all feed reliably, have the level of accuracy I want, and its way easier than having to keep track of what 9mm ammo goes with which gun. The only exception to this is that I try to make my 9mm Major look as different as possible (OAL and I used Hollow Points) to avoid any mishaps.

Tailor your load for the gun with the shortest OAL.

Then test it in your other guns.

+1. Sounds like good advice, to me. :cheers:

If that load is not very accurate in another gun, you might

want to change your mind, and work up a specific load

for that gun - up to you. :bow: :bow:

As I mentioned in another thread I finally got fed up with chamber specs being all over the map. I picked up a Manson finishing reamer and some go/no-go gages for about $100 and a bottle of cutting fluid from home depot. 15 minutes worth of work later and all my 9mm competition guns have the same chamber and throat. Now I can run the same rounds in my 9mm 1911 which likes a long'ish load and my CZ's which always needed a super short OAL to keep from hitting the rifling.

As I mentioned in another thread I finally got fed up with chamber specs being all over the map. I picked up a Manson finishing reamer and some go/no-go gages for about $100 and a bottle of cutting fluid from home depot. 15 minutes worth of work later and all my 9mm competition guns have the same chamber and throat. Now I can run the same rounds in my 9mm 1911 which likes a long'ish load and my CZ's which always needed a super short OAL to keep from hitting the rifling.

I did the same but I used the longest and widest bullet that I use that will fit in the Glock and CZ mags for my guage. I just reamed them until it barely seats.