Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 SS load 1.135

cnote

I want to try to load an accurate minor load with 180 bayou and WST. Needs to be short to fit an .40 SS mag so probably 1.135.

Thinking accuracy trumps SD and the PF cushion. Would probably be around 140pf, so the cushon is there .

My searches show accuracy declines when going lower than that .

4.6 gives me a PF of 172 with a 185 grain PBB loaded long

4.2 gives me pf of 172 with a 200 bayou/Sns loaded long

Pet minor load data appreciated to start and work up?????

Edited by cnote, Today, 08:25 AM.

I use WST in 45ACP, but not in 40sw. So I can't help you with that. However, I can confirm that going below 139PF with a 180gr bullet will diminish consistency and accuracy.

My pet minor load is 180gr LTC bullet, 2.8gr e3, CCI 500, loaded to 1.135". Avg Vel 773fps, SD 6.75, 139PF, super accurate in my CZ 75 TS.

I shot .40 minor for 3-gun for a little while using a Glock 35 and a 2011 Eagle. I'm going off memory, but IIRC 2.9 gr of Hodgdon Clays with a 180 gr moly bullet was a stupid soft load. Had to lower my recoil springs so the cases would eject reliably.

Eventually I ended up switching to a Glock 34 and had a 9mm top end built for my Eagle because I preferred a snappier recoil impulse.

Have you tried going to a 165 or 135 gr .40 bullet?

My pet load for my .40 was a 155gr. Bayou Bullet over 3.5gr. of WST. AOL was 1.125". I had to use an 8lb. recoil spring in my Limited Pro for reliable case extraction but load was very mild and accurate.

I shot .40 minor for 3-gun for a little while using a Glock 35 and a 2011 Eagle. I'm going off memory, but IIRC 2.9 gr of Hodgdon Clays with a 180 gr moly bullet was a stupid soft load. Had to lower my recoil springs so the cases would eject reliably.

Eventually I ended up switching to a Glock 34 and had a 9mm top end built for my Eagle because I preferred a snappier recoil impulse.

Have you tried going to a 165 or 135 gr .40 bullet?

Not yet , have the 180's but could definitely try lighter Edited by cnote