Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stroke it Baby!

kneelingatlas

I want to share some interesting observations about the slide stroke of my different Open guns. As some of you might know I have a few different Open pistols including CZs, Tanfoglios and 2011s in both 9 and 38 as well as an insatiable urge to tinker :eatdrink:

So when I first heard about pistols with increased slide stroke, I just had to try it :devil: The design of the Tanfoglio Hunter lends itself to experimentation in this way because the slide impacts a block at the base of the guide rod rather than the frame at the rear of the stroke so all I had to do was cut it:

Update on the 6": I stroked it!

_20141003_194244_zpsdbgle6ii.jpg

_20141003_194219_zpsl1gr5dim.jpg

_20141003_194311_zpsmfcdy8az.jpg

0.134" increased stroke, I'll give a range report once I get around to loading some 40 :)

This let's me change the stroke by simply changing the guide rod. This easy comparison led me to conclude that there is a tangible softening of the recoil to be gained by this modification; logically, there should be a longer lock time to the cycle as a tradeoff, but I could not detect it. I have not yet done any time trials side by side to see if the softer feel translates into higher scores, but those will come someday :ph34r:

Naturally this got me thinking about stroking all the time :devil:

I couldn't help but think it would be a great way to mitigate the snap of an Open gun with a short barrel/lots of holes/light slide/etc so I started studying all my Open guns and planning.

I first assumed the large frame CZ75 pattern pistols would have a longer stroke than the small frame pistols, but the calibers proved me wrong, they're the same; then I noticed the 2011s by design had a longer stoke than the CZ75s: 1.875" vs 2.115", so right out of the gate that's 0.240" difference and "stroked" 6" still had a shorter stroke than a stock 2011!

The next step is to see if there's something to the design making it not need such a long stroke, i.e., will stroking a CZ by 0.440" cause it to feel sluggish or lopey?

Again I will go back to the Hunter since the stroking is reversible and the only thing at risk is a guide rod. I had heard Akai say his stroked guns had an additional 0.2" of stoke, but I stopped at 0.134" with my Hunter because I was running out of the fat part on the guide rod and didn't want a smaller diameter block to impact the slide, so to get more stroke I plan to cut a section out of the middle of the block and weld it back together again.

Stay tuned...

I would be a little worried about welding a guide rod that take the recoil from the slide. Wouldn't it be easier to turn a new rod from round stock in the dimensions you want? Something that small shouldn't be a lot to have machined.

I would be a little worried about welding a guide rod that take the recoil from the slide. Wouldn't it be easier to turn a new rod from round stock in the dimensions you want? Something that small shouldn't be a lot to have machined.

It just occurred to me you probably don't know how a Hunter guide rod is made, so you don't have the same picture in your head as I do; it's made from two pieces: the rod and the block. There's a pin keeping the two together so I just punch the pin, slide the rod out, cut the block and put the rod back in.