Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying AMMO CHEAPER? - law enforcement

abcxyz

Kind of a stupid question, but how much cheaper can law enforcement people buy ammo for?  My co-worker's husband is training in the academy right now, and he probably can get it cheaper, is that that much cheaper?  Or is going to Walmart and buying the Winchester 100 packs ($10.96) pretty much as cheap as you can get from pretty good quality ammo?  Anyway, just thought some of you might know.  Thanks!

No LE discounts that I know of. Most of the guys don't shoot enough to reload so they buy practice ammo just like everyone else. That is just another one of those misconceptions that since your in LE you get this or that for free. Sorry but it just doesn't happen like that in the real world.

No free/discount ammo for off range use that I have ever heard of.  For factory 40, 45, or 9mm, Walmart or mail order is the best bet.  However, police ranges will often give you their once fired brass for free, or for the price of you picking it up off the ground for them. Should be reliably once-fired brass with like headstamps and the price is right.

Thanks for the replies and clarification.  I have actually checked out natchezss and they have some good prices, but after the shipping, it comes out more than if I was to buy from walmart and pay the tax!  

Anyone have any comments on 9mm 115 gr sellier & bellot?  How is that comparable to the Winchester you can get at walmart?  

Thanks

Oh.  

I bought a case of S&B 9mm from Natchez myself.  It goes bang every time, and is as accurate as my 3.5" barreled Kahr will allow.  About $116 with shipping (it was on sale for $5 per box).  I like S&B, too, because it comes in small boxes...the ammo trays take up less space, so there's less bulk in my range bag.

Also, http://www.ammoman.com has free shipping, and will give a 3% discount if you mail them a check vs. using credit.  Their selection is kinda eratic, though.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

• 9 months later...

I have several friends in the law enforcement community, and it has come to my attention that Wichester now sells their 'white box' ammo at a discounted rate (to participating departments).  I believe that 115grn 9mm is $38/1k and 230grn .45 is around $80/1k.  Not that it matters to me, as I'm not LEO.  ;)  Now I have an idea of what all that ammo costs to make... Just need to start buying bullets/cases/powder by the million hehe

The volume purchasing is true.  Seems that you can buy almost anything at Wal-mart these days.  The local store(s) are advertising that they will sell cars soon...sheesh I meant to imply that those prices are availible to officers of participating departments (min one case).  Personal use included...