Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15 Cleaning - Otis vs Boresnake

Graham Smith

I have a good bore guide and cleaning rod setup for all my rifles, but I tend to find myself turning to a Boresnake for quick cleaning. This is particularly true if I want to take something with me to the range for a long day.

The one thing I don't like about the Boresnake is that you darn near have to stand the rifle on it's nose to get the little weighted string through it. Tough to do if you don't have a bench handy that you can use for that.

I've seen the Otis system but have not tried it. It looks like it would be a lot simpler to use for field cleaning an AR. Any lovers/haters with first hand experience here?

Stick with the bore snake, some solvent and a method for cleaning the chamber. In reality the most important area to keep clean is the chamber and the barrel extension area. Most of the rest of the rifle does not matter provided its not loaded with sane. I use a forming cleaner in a can with a spray tube to get the solvent into the barrel and let it sit muzzle down, then pull snake through a few times.

Otis kits are more of a pain than boresnakes. Army issues otis kits to everyone overseas. I tried the otis once and that was enough.. I always used boresnake after and still do for qyick cleaning. I do use a good 1 piece and guide for real cleaning though

Another vote for foaming bore cleaner, spray, let it sit muzzle down over a paper towel, then after about 45 minutes hit it again to force out the crap, let it sit 15 then flush with brake cleaner.

Followed by a few dry patches.

I'm really only talking about a quick field cleaning. If I am at home, I have cleaning rods.. I've used a Boresnake at the range and like it but as I said you almost have to stand the rifle on end to get the leader through.