Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimmed Cases for .38 Super revolvers

COF

Has anyone thought of using .38 S&W brass for this instead of shortening .38 or .357 brass? The brass is a little shorter than .38 Super (.775 vs. .900) and a little larger but could be run through a .38 Super die.

Jerry

Has anyone thought of using .38 S&W brass for this instead of shortening .38 or .357 brass? The brass is a little shorter than .38 Super (.775 vs. .900) and a little larger but could be run through a .38 Super die.

Jerry

What about Short colts ??, granted the case is .150 shorter

(Super .900, SC .750 ??)

I saw this being done by a guy, cutdown 38 spcls in a 38 Super revo,

the cases were much more stable in the moonclip at the sorter length

and reloads looked quick. Granted the brass was a tad "bulged" after firing

and I would NEVER do this for major loads (ie 170pf) but for steel loads

around 130 pf it worked pretty slick.

Actually I have to ask now, are you looking at steel/ICORE type loads or

IPSC ??? I don't think I would play with different brass for major loads.

DaveP

Yes, the 38 S&W brass would work well for minor loads in the Revos.

I did some experimentation with the 38 short colt and found that 38 Short colt brass and oversize bullet for your barrel (ie. .357 for super) works very well for 130pf loads.

For my gun, which has a custom barrel, I now have a load with West Coast 147RN(.357) and VV310 which does 2in. at 25yds. It took weeks of experimentation and playing with the crimp to find it.

Now having said that, I have a friend that DaveP mentioned that has buckets of 38spec brass and time on his hands over the winter, and he trimmed them down :blink: . I dont have that kind of time right now ;)

Yo DaveP, send me a PM or email! DougC

Actually, the 38 SC case is shorter than the 38 S&W. (.765 vs .775) Besides that the rim on the 38 SC is .445, while the 38 S&W is .440, the same as 38 Special and .357 mag.

In a previous thread there was a discussion on this to shoot the same revolver in both IDPA revolver classes. Same way some folks are using 45 AR in their 625's. It would only require a 125 PF load and you could actually load the bullet out some with the shorter case.

Jerry

Actually, the 38 SC case is shorter than the 38 S&W. (.765 vs .775) Besides that the rim on the 38 SC is .445, while the 38 S&W is .440, the same as 38 Special and .357 mag.

I believe the Rim diameter is the same for short colts as it is for 38 spcl and 357,

from Starline anyway.

DaveP

ps. DougC, email on the way, probably answer later tonight as I'm off soon and

away from my comp.

I found some old 38 S&W ammo in the safe that I got at a gun show a few years ago so I would have some ammo for the old Iver Johnson. B)

They would chamber OK in my 686x6 38 super but the primer hits were too light to go off. I put the same rounds in my Model 10 and they fired.

The rim thickness is a little less on the 38 S&W compared to 38 special.

Maybe if I had one of those trick extended firing pins. I need to get some L-frame speedloaders too. :D

Bill Nesbitt

Sorry folks, I should have been a little clearer.

The NEW short colt stuff from Starline is basicly just short 38 spcl stuff.

same case head dimensions, same rim thickness.

No idea what dimensions they are making their 38 S&W brass.

A phone call to Starline may answer your question better.

Yes The SAMMI specs and all the books list the dimensions of a certain case,

doesn't mean they make them EXACLTY like the drawing.

(I gotta spell checker on this thing)

DaveP