223/556

wingnut

Depends on bullet choice but figure

10-12 cents bullet

3 cents primer

5 cents powder

so right around 20 cents per round if you have brass

then you will need everything for case prep tat can run from $50 to $500

Bullets can be had for 6-8 cents each or maybe even a little less if purchased in bulk quantities. And, premium projectiles can cost up 30 cents each or more...

I don't bother buying too cheap of bullets for rifle loads even for spray loads. Got burned with armscor bullets that had dimension issues and would cause stoppage or waste way too much time when loading as they fell through resized cases due to bullet dimension issues.

Powder is the choke point in our area. When available locally, its usually around $30 per pound or 12-1/2 cents per round. At least it keeps me shooting until I can find someone with powder in larger sizes.

If you do not have brass or the equipment needed to process the brass, you can sometimes find fully processed brass for around $125 per thousand.

In my case, hoser bullets are running 11 cents per bullet and premium competition bullets run around 17 cents per bullet. The best I've seen on 55 gr pulldowns is 6.6 cents per bullet.

I'm still trying to decode if it is worth the effort for hoser rounds

I only reload for matches. My hoser loads are like shooting .22LR. Its a Nosler 50 gr bullet at just over 2600 fps. Our local matches rarely require more than 70 rds so in the big picture its not a lot of money.

For practice at distances of 100 yards and less, I just run whatever factory ammo is in the garage and recover the brass. Shooting further than 100 yds I'm using Federal Tactical I picked up for around $6.75 per box.

I'm also considering some of the .223 remanufactured ammo. Fellow shooters are having good luck with it.

$0.19 to $0.23 per round, using IMR 8208 XBR, 55g Hornady FMJ and CCI41 primers (either free range brass or unprocessed brass where I paid $0.04 per case).

In my opinion, my rounds are higher quality than bulk ammo. Otherwise, it probably would make more sense to buy bulk ammo, particularly as the prices has come down.