Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

66 or 686 for Bug-R

BadShot

I'm going to starting a petition to allow due wielding S&W Airweight J-frames in BUG-R. Two Airweights (loaded no less) are under the weight limit for BUG-R and will both fit in the BUG-R box at the same time.

That said I would go with the 686. The weight is your friend and since the weight limit is so high you should take full advantage of it. I think a nice 2.5 inch or 3 inch 686 would be an excellent choice for a BUG-R gun right up at the top of the weight and size limit.

Does anybody know why they didn't create BUG-R so that it was a five shot division? Everyone has a J-frame. So what if you have to reload bunch more times, everyone in the division will be doing the same thing. There are plenty of holsters and speed loaders available out there.

Skip

I don't see anything in the rules that prevents using a J-Frame in BUG-R. You are loading 5 rounds, which is less than the maximum allowed. Sort of like using an Officer 45 in CDP. You are allowed 4 speed loaders plus 5 in the gun, which is 25 rounds, the same number as CDP.

I think 6 shot BUG will attract more shooters than 5 shot BUG. I think they wanted to include all the little 380 pocket guns. I think after a few matches, people will see how hard they are to shoot. ;)

I'll bet a good shooter with a J-Frame and a pocket full of speed loaders could show those auto loaders a thing or two. :)

edit to add: I would shoot the 66 because I love K-Frames. :)

Edited by Bill Nesbitt

The important thing is, you want a 3" barrel for the full length ejector rod. You get consistent ejection of the long 38 Special brass that way.

3" Model 66's are very rare, and command a price premium. Same with Model 19's. You see more in the 2-1/2" barrel length.

3" Model 65's and Model 10's are pretty easy to find, in comparison, but have fixed sights (not a big problem IMHO).

So I think if you must have adjustable sights, you'd be better off looking for a 3" Model 686.

I don't own any L-frames, so I can't compare a 686 directly from competition experience to a K-frame, but I find nothing lacking in K-frames, for IDPA competition use.

Edited by johnmac

Keep in mind that several of these great revolvers like the 3" model 66 are not really 3". I have what S&W calls a 3" 66 but it actually measures 3.2" and would not be legal since the rule says BugR has a 3.00" limit. I will not be chopping .2" off my rare 3" 66 for IDPA.

Keep in mind that several of these great revolvers like the 3" model 66 are not really 3". I have what S&W calls a 3" 66 but it actually measures 3.2" and would not be legal since the rule says BugR has a 3.00" limit. I will not be chopping .2" off my rare 3" 66 for IDPA.

Interesting and good to know. I checked my M65, and it is 2.94" from the face of the cylinder to the end of the barrel.