Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ICORE recipe

jimstc

Anyone have loading data using Titegroup and a 230gr CMJ Montana Gold Bullet for ICORE competition? I am trying to get a 125 - 130 power factor.

Should I use a lighter bullet??

I am shooting a 5" barrel S&W Performance Center 625.

Thanks,

Jim

Shooting IDPA SSR under the old rules, I used a 4" 625 and bunnyfart 45acp loads, as did lots of others. You can certainly use a heavy bullet and get below 600 fps (you only need 540 to make a 125 pf); but jacketed bullets tend to shoot erratically that low.

My best success was with Hodgdon Clays (straight Clays, not universal) under a 230 swaged rnl from Zero (rozedist.net--bonus is they're very cheap). 3.1 grains (my scale, my gun) gave me about 570 fps, very fast shot-to-shot recovery, and no leading. Very clean load; at that charge, I could shoot a thousand rounds without cleaning the gun and have no problems--probably could have gone much longer, but my conscience started to get to me.

If you try to go that low with Titegroup, or almost any other powder (I think there's one VV that's popular for such loads--is it 310?) other than Clays, you're gonna get unburnt granules and scuz to stick up your reloads and your ejecter star.

Although I don't load for 45 ACP, I did a lot of experimenting with TG and Minor loads. What I did find is that velocities were erratic and unpredictable. If you load towards the very bottom of the PF, I think you run a great chance to go sub-Minor and shoot for no-score. Considering that the 45 ACP is a relatively low-pressure round to begin with, based on my experience I believe that you might encounter even more problems than I did in 40. Just my $0.02.

Clay's, on the other hand, has given me excellent results. Very clean and extremely consistent with minor loads and light bullets.

Here's another thread on 45 ACP Minor loads.

And here's a search for Minor 45 ACP load threads.

I just ran some zero 230gr RN thru my 5" 625 trying to work up a load to make major with titegroup.

the first load I run thru was:

4.4gr titegroup

1.260 AOL

crimped at .471

chronoed at 618fps(142pf) average with chrono 10ft away, was a really nice shooting load, accurate enough. That was my starting point for working up to a major load.

roboman, is that zero's lead or jacketed rn? I've had to switch from lead (when I was shooting minor pf) to jacketed; the soft swaged lead was messing up the barrel to the point that it was tumbling and shooting very wild at loads just over major (4.0-4.1 Clays).

The 230 FMJ's are excellent with titegroup, based on this morning's outing. I was shooting 4.6g and getting much better accuracy. I'd love to hear more as you chrono and track your progress--keep us informed, please!

those were jacketed, sorry for not being more specific. I havent had a chance to get back out and chrono another batch of loads yet.

I did however shoot a 4.7gr titegroup load with same OAL and crimp and it only jumped to 680fps, which still isnt enough to make major as long as I can stay between 718-740 I will be happy. One thing I did notice the deviation was only around 12-15 with that 4.4gr load, so it was pretty consistent. and I fired 36 rounds across the chrono for reference of each load.

thanks, roboman. wow--that's well under published data I've seen. I'll definitely get mine chrono'd before I go to win some big slice of the pie at a sanctioned match! ;)

Please keep in mind, those are figures from MY chrono and MY gun, the OAL is also way longer than hogdons published data as well.. :)

Nick & Chris - FWIW, the Zero 230 swaged RNs don't do well with major loads in the revolver, though they're fine in bottomfeeders. I think it has to do with the long jump from case to rifling.

Zero swaged bullets seems to be "slow", and need more powder to make a given velocity than cast bullets. I don't know why this is, it just is (in my guns, anyway). It's been so long since I shot anyone else's that I don't remember if this applies to swaged bullets by other makers.

My .45 ACP load with TG is 4.8 grains under a 230 cast RNL (1.24" OAL, mixed brass, Fed 150 primers), which gives 796 fps from my Commander. I haven't chronoed it from my 1917 (my only MC gun) yet.

Ok, after double checking my powder measure and scale, turned out my scale was off by a few grains, so I reset it and now my 230gr zero jacketed RN are leaving my 5" 625 at 741 average with 4.6gr titegroup loaded to 1.260" with a .471 crimp. I'm glad I chronoed my rounds first while testing today as a buddy of mine put a 200gr LSWC thru the front of my chrono :(