Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload Help

Pseudonym

I have been trying to work up a minor 40 S&W load for my 610 and I am looking for some help. I was trying to work up a load for a 155gr RN over Power Pistol, but as I have downloaded I am getting unburnt powder, also I was not happy with the accuracy.

So here are my other options at the moment, and I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

I have N320 and Solo1000 powder as options to use with the 155gr, or use the 200gr bullet I use for major and try to download to minor using one of the above 3 powders.

I thought Sam or Mike had listed some minor 40 S&W data they used in their 646's many years ago, but I was not able to find it with the search function.

Mods I know this is not the reloading section, but if you could please leave this post in the revolver section I would appreciate it, as this is my target audience.(No pun intended)

I am a ham-fisted shooter so it does not need to be to a bare minimum. I would rather have a 145 PF load that is dead-nuts accurate, then a 126 bunny fart that is so-so, if that helps. I am shooting outlaw matches, steel, and with some ICORE tossed in here and there, so I wanted something a little less stout then 200gr major loads.
Thanks

Accurate powder shows a staring load of 4.4 grains of solo1000 behind a 165 gr HP for 917 fps.

Something similar behind your 155 would make ~142 PF.

I don't load for .40, I just found a burn rate chart that listed solo 1000 as the fastest of your powders. The Accurate powders description says it's good for cowboy loads.....

Thanks Pat
I have starting load data for the three powders, but most are close or getting close to major. I was hoping someone had used one of the 3 powders with the 155gr bullets and loading towards minor. I just want to avoid unburnt powder and having it get stuck under the extractor, and hopefully get an accurate load as well. I will try and see if I can search again for Sam Keen's post as I am almost certain he had a post for a minor N320 and his 646.

head over to the Limited auto guys. Tons of data. I always liked the 155 gr minor bullet. I loaded to major with WST or tightgroup and a 180, then used the same profile of 155 grain bullet and would end up with a 140'ish powerfactor load that still cycled my guns, but didnt require any adjustments to my press.
Power pistol is too slow for what you are trying to do. The Solo 1000 would be a pretty good choice.

• 2 weeks later...

i am gonna dig out my WIN 95 laptop, it has RCBS.load on it and should have all my 646 data on it. I shot 155gr berry and precisions through it. Pretty sure all my chrono data will be WST and Tightgroup though. I think to be accurate you'll want to get the pressure up their. Probably why so many old school target shooters still like Bullseye. really fast powder, big initial pressure spike, forms that bullet to the rifling at the forcing cone, cuts down on gas getting around bullet and leading.
I think the Solo 1000 will be whereits at, shorten the OAL, and work up to the power factor you want.