Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What am I doing wrong?

BangSwitch

IMO... You need to stop when a problem happens, look at the problem, figure it out before continuing. After all, your stage is already a loss. If it is a magazine problem, do not continue using that magazine during the match. Check the feed lips, spring, follower, et al before using it again. Check ammo OAL. Then look at the firearm for issues - burrs, broken or chipped pieces, whatever... polish the feed ramp, any surface that comes in contact with moving elements and use lube... a dry gun will not run...

What he said.

I had this problem with a RIA 22TCM that I'm using as a cheap man's 2011 (comes with 9mm barrel). The magazines for that are 38 super magazines, but run 9mm. I had to do several things to make it run, but the most effective was loading longer, polishing the feed ramp (not really a ramp for me, but the first part of the barrel contacted) and modifying the magazine feed lips.

From what I can tell, a 9mm cartridge wasn't meant for a 1911 design. The geometry of the loading system has to be just right to feed effectively. Remember, you are stuffing something in a barrel bore at much more of an angle with a 1911. The barrel doesn't tip up for easier loading, like a plastic gun. It remains horizontal.

I'm definitely no expert, but just from what I've learned the hard way, I would check the magazine feed lips first for the double feeds (I also had that problem on a Para expert, but in .45 ACP).

By the way, I'm running a 10lb spring and 147 grain reloads at 130 PF in the RIA.

You might be well served by purchasing a spring pack from wolf and try to see what works best...that is, what allows you to bring your sights back on target the quickest for the particular ammo you are using.

Lots of things happen when we try to go fast and you may just be experiencing it during a match because you are more careful about taking your time during practice, especially with slamming the magazine in the pistol...just a guess though.