Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad groups -- 9mm, MG 124 JHP, Tru Blu

Newguy

While taking a class with Max Michel and Travis Tomasie, I noticed that my groups were off -- way off. The gun wouldn't group well at all. Three shots in a group then two flyers -- high and low. The first handcycled shot was way off. I figured it was me, but because I wasn't sure, I asked Travis to try it. It wouldn't group well for him either, especially the first shot.

Here's the load and the gun:

MG 124 gr. JHP

7.8 gr. Ramshot Tru Blue

OAL=1.163

9mm range brass

STI frame, slide and barrel

Bedell titanium comp

I can't load much longer or else it won't work in the STI mag using Bevan's folowers and spacers. I'm hoping it's the load since I don't want to mess with the barrel, which only has less than 5k rounds through it..

Any suggestions on where I might be going wrong?

I have found MG not quite as accurate as Zeros although not as bad as you discribe.

True Blue didn't work well for me at all, way to much pressure at major and not very accurate.

Try Ramshot Silhouette I have had good luck with it, see the 9mm major load data tread. I have decided I like it even better than 3n37.

Go by your local bullets-by-the-box-of-100 gun/reloading store with a good selection and get a box of a few different brands, styles and weights. Load them up and shoot a bunch of groups off a rest. If the problem still exists with different bullets, the problem isn't there.

I think most of the answers are heading the right direction, but you need to test the gun for accuracy using some factory ammo.

Just to make sure that it is in fact an ammo problem not a firearm problem.

Before you do anything the gun must be spotless and have all the copper fouling removed, (Sweets, Shooters Choice etc etc etc, used properly will do this). One of the most annoying things is working a load up and finding copper fouling is a problem. Any sign of copper / brass streaks in the bore require removing. Drive a snug patch from teh chamber end of the removed barrel, if the barrel has been cleaned to remove powder fouling the copper / brass is easily visible on the lands and grooves as the clean patch approaches he muzzle. Good clean light required for best results.

Check there is no problem with comp strike and check the crown of the barrel with a magnifier.

If handgun shoots fine on factory (regardless of whether it cycles properly), next step sort out your handloaded ammo.

Put the range brass aside, or at the very least make sure it is definitively once fired and all the same brand. I strongly reccommend new brass about 500 and go from there. You MUST reduce the variables. Good brass, not something that your mate got cheap at a church fair, use a reputable manufacturer.

I think even with the MG bullets you should be getting good groups, a couple of NRA AP guys I shoot with get amazing accuracy from their handguns using the 124gr JHP MG. So I honestly suspect whilst the Zero may shoot better the MG should shoot good enough.

Next select a good quality powder, Vihtavouri, Hodgdon, Ramshot, IMR again not floor scrapings from a fireworks factory.

Good primer, Fed or Win are my personel favourites.

Load slowly and carefully using a press that is coloured blue. Shoot the gun on a firm rest and test at 10Y, 25Y and 50Y. Groups should consistantly get a little larger as you go back. Any sudden and unexpect change in the groups should be investigated.

If the problem is significantly reduced change bullet. Always look at Hornady or Sierra as well for testing.