Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended firing pin installation ? and do I need a FPS as well?

DagoRed

I got the extended firing pins today, dropped one in real quick. Sure enough big improvement. Not sure this is due totally to length, after all it's also twice the weight (@62 grains vs 31 grains).

With the barrel out so I can see, hammer down and slide held in place it does extend ever so slightly past breech face. I can't find any info on fitting a firing pin. Logic tells me I can just take a little off the nose/tip and be ok. Any reason this wont work? (I am still getting steel standard length but for the comp gun I want to try this one out)

Great tip on the FPS, emailed Harrison w a couple questions got real quick response. Only thing I need to decide is if I care enough about cosmetics to pay $15 extra for a custom one in stainless (the fact that he'd make one for me is really cool)

Thanks guys

Red

• 2 weeks later...

Update in case anybody cares:

Extended pin install went easy. Got a pretty nice rounded tip on the slightly shortened pin. Shot 175 rounds at steel challenge not a single light primer strike. The other night I decided to break it down and replace the main spring setup hoping it would improve the trigger pull. Measured it w the springfield setup at 5lb 12oz average. Moving to the ed brown replacement (no indication just guessing its 23lbs) actually took me to 5lb 14oz. :(

I'm not sure if I'm gonna get the stuff and try a trigger job myself or send it off. Just blew my mar allowance on loading supplies.

Red