Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 or P226 S Sportstock

sandflea

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the P226 Sportstock S the precursor to the Sig X-Five models?

I don't own a Sportstock. I do own a few P226 USPSA models with the stainless steel frames, and from the original, non-railed line of X-Five's an Allround (9mm), Competition, and Level 1 (both in .40s&w).

In regards to this comparison, there is none. The X-Five models are hands down superior to the USPSA stainless steel frame model in every facet. There were two USPSA models, one with a stainless steel frame, the other with an alloy frame.

Sorry I couldn't help you with Sportstock comparison, but maybe this will help a little bit.

I'm just going from what I remember reading, and I could be wrong, but I think Sport Stock models had standard length (4.4") match barrels, had stainless frames, and were fitted more meticulously.

X5's can be had in numerous configurations.

I can't imagine anything coming from Sig that was fit more meticulous than their X-Five models. My X-Fives are fit better than my CZ Accu's, STI Edge's and some semi custom 1911's (Les Baer and Ed Brown).

I've said it before and I will say it again, the best gun I've ever owned is the Sig X-Five Level 1. It's not my most expensive, it's just my favorite. And I own some very nice guns. I know opinions will vary, but if I could only own one gun......

Sandflea, I've got a couple Accu's with the extended barrels (often called Aussie Barrel) and a few X-Five's. The Accu is incredibly accurate. And the X-Five is incredibly accurate. However, for whatever reason, I shoot the best groupings with my X-Five L1 in .40s&w (bottom X-five in pic) versus any other gun I have, whether it's in slow fire or rapid fire.

That being said, in Production division I shoot the Accu, not the X5 Allround. You won't find another gun that's more accurate than any of the X5's. Maybe as accurate, but not more accurate. But it's the trigger on the Accu that makes it win out. I have an Allround with a Sig Custom Shop trigger job, but it's still not as good as the CZ Custom trigger on the Accu. Especially the DA pull.

Of course, my shooting ability is nowhere near the potential of any of these guns.

Here are my CZ and X5 gats. They are all damn fun to shoot.

20150127_181955_zpsxmn2uu10.jpg

20140815_092417_zpsdyzve0zv.jpg

Edited by JGus

Are you planning on shooting a particular competition (bullseye, USPSA, IDPA, steel challenge, Bianchi) or a combination? Based on your preference list I assume you are looking for a DA/SA production gun. One thing to keep in mind besides the rules for the division you would like to shoot is the availability of aftermarket parts and gunsmith support. Sigs are easier to find, but have fewer aftermarket options; Berettas are similar in availability and parts to Sig. CZs, depending on the model, may involve a wait list to purchase, but have significantly more aftermarket parts available. Also included in the category of guns are Tangfolios, but they are difficult to acquire and parts can be hard to find.

Bruce Gray would be able to answer the Sig related questions in detail.

JWard79 I'm overseas too much... about 7-8 months a year, but I have a thing for extremely accurate guns. Thanks for the info though, maybe when I stop going overseas I might consider competition shooting.

JGus, incredible collection!!! I might just have to get an X5 and an Accu Shadow.

Definitely get both! You won't have any buyers remorse.

I kind of stumbled onto this collection. I was shooting the Sig X5 Competition in Limited, then decided to get the X5 L1 as my primary Limited gun and use the Competition model as back up. The only problem with the X5 was mag capacity. Even with the Roger Sherman extended basepads, I could only get 17 in the mag, vs 20 to 21 reloadable for an STI, Tanfo, CZ, etc. So I ultimately switched to an Edge because of mag capacity.

Then I decided last summer to shoot Production, and of course went with the X5 Allround with Sig Custom shop trigger work. And so I also got a second Allround for back up. A buddy of mine was shooting an Accu, and after I shot his with the CZ Custom trigger, it was all over. So I got one for primary, and one for back up. And the third one was offered at such a great price there was no way I couldn't buy it. It was offered at way under prices I've seen on Gunbroker. I'm just a B class Limited and Production shooter, but I'm going to continue to focus on just Production (other than shooting Single Stack Nationals this year) this year and not bounce around between divisions to get my Production A card this summer. So the only gun I will be shooting this year will be the Accu.

But I have no regrets. Great guns for the collection whether they get used on competition or not.

Edited by JGus

I can't imagine anything coming from Sig that was fit more meticulous than their X-Five models. My X-Fives are fit better than my CZ Accu's, STI Edge's and some semi custom 1911's (Les Baer and Ed Brown).

I think the Sport Stock models preceeded the X5's, but I could be wrong on that.

I think the Sport Stock models preceeded the X5's, but I could be wrong on that.

I thought they did, too. I thought the Sport Stock models (along with the P210) were the predecessor/inspiration for the X5's? I thought I read that somewhere, but it could be wrong. I'm sure Bruce Gray would know.

I was in one of the lgs in my area to get some ammo the day before I left overseas when I saw the Sport Stock, at first glance I thought it was an X5 L1... the price kind of indicated it was, until I saw the lettering on the side. If I knew a little bit more about it at the time, I would have bought it. I hope it's still there when I get back, the guy behind the counter said it been there for months so I'm crossing my fingers, otherwise I'll order an X5 online. I've been wanting to order an Accu shadow for a while, but czc has a waiting list and I'm more of an instant gratification kind of guy LOL, I have seen them on Gunbroker so I might go that route.

Check with Oak Hill Guns on the availability of Accu's. They seem to get them in pretty regularly. www.oakhillguns.com. They also often list them on Gunbroker. There are currently two Accu's listed on Gunbroker.

I know they come from CZ Custom, but they must have some deal with Oak Hill that they send them many of the batches that they complete. Oak Hill often has them when CZ Custom doesn't.

Edited by JGus

The current Accu's are priced fairly high, but one has the Aussie extended barrel.

I've seen several sell in the last few months on GB between $1650 and $1800. Normally Oak Hill will list them one at a time, not all at once. Just last month they sold 4 of them on GB, but they wait until one sells before they list another. And at the same time normally a few other dealers will list a few at the same time. They must all get their batches at similar times?

• 1 month later...

Sandflea, I've got a couple Accu's with the extended barrels (often called Aussie Barrel) and a few X-Five's. The Accu is incredibly accurate. And the X-Five is incredibly accurate. However, for whatever reason, I shoot the best groupings with my X-Five L1 in .40s&w (bottom X-five in pic) versus any other gun I have, whether it's in slow fire or rapid fire.

That being said, in Production division I shoot the Accu, not the X5 Allround. You won't find another gun that's more accurate than any of the X5's. Maybe as accurate, but not more accurate. But it's the trigger on the Accu that makes it win out. I have an Allround with a Sig Custom Shop trigger job, but it's still not as good as the CZ Custom trigger on the Accu. Especially the DA pull.

Of course, my shooting ability is nowhere near the potential of any of these guns.

Here are my CZ and X5 gats. They are all damn fun to shoot.

20150127_181955_zpsxmn2uu10.jpg

20140815_092417_zpsdyzve0zv.jpg

How tall is the fiber optic front sight on your X5's and is it a standard P226 fit?

• 3 weeks later...

I went out tand put a few down range side to side with my Les Baer and I was shooting tighter groups with the X5. I put some Hogue grips on it... ordered them before I even got the gun LOL. I'm super happy with my purchase.