Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Product experience: Wilson Combat adjustable gas block.

TonytheTiger

Just thought I would share my experience with the WC gas block. I'll start with the pertinent rifle specs: 16" mid length barrel, JP steel LMOS carrier, nearly gutted rifle buffer, TTI lightspeed buffer spring and the Carbon Arms Gas Hog brake, though that probably isn't pertinent to GB tuning. Ammo used was all factory 55gr fmj, primarily WWB. I installed GB #1 a few weeks ago, took the rifle to my backyard range, set the adjustment screw at one revolution from closed. Loaded one round into a Pmag40 and fired and was surprised to see it lock back and find the brass at about 1:30 and 10' away from me. Turned it to 3/4 from closed. Almost identical results. Closed it entirely. 2 o'clock ejection and still locking back. Shot 50 rounds at this setting, with the buffer slamming back into my shoulder pretty noticeably and the same ejection patterns no matter if I was shooting singles, pairs or triples. I got a a real human on the phone at WC the next day after about 10 unanswered calls. I was transferred a couple of times before I got a seemingly knowledgeable fellow who agreed with me that even with low mass parts and a light spring I should be able to adjust it to the point the BCG wouldn't lock back. So he told me to ship it back it back and they would exchange it for a properly functioning unit. After a couple weeks without hearing from WC I called and was told they where out of stock and I'd be the first to receive one of the next batch. Three business days later I got GB #2 in the mail and this time before installing it I blew through both my standard non-adjustable GB and the WC block with it fully closed. I was disappointed to find the resistance between the two was very similar. So I installed it and shot another 20 rounds with the exact same results. It would seem the WC block is not for gamer guns with low mass parts. I'll probably end up returning it for a refund and eating all the shipping costs I've incurred. Oh well, live and learn I guess. If anyone else has used one I'd be interested in hearing your experience. Time for an SLR Sentry now!

Edited by TonytheTiger

No experience with the WC gas block, but I can tell you I have two of the SLR Sentrys and they will both close off the gas completely. The two I have are on completely different set-ups (16"-carbine gas, 18"-rifle gas) and I was able to dial them both in to perfection, albeit, at a different number of clicks out from closed. :cheers:

I don't know about the specific brand of gas block you have, I have never seen one, but on models that use a set screw that directly threads into the path of the gas I have found a few that could benefit from removing the set screw and running the proper sized hand tap carefully in until it bottoms. In many cases this can get you a couple more turns closed and sometimes get the block to regulate down further. As I said, I don't know the specific details on how the block in question works and it may not be an option at all, but if it is applicable it can be an easy fix. You already have the block, might as well dick with it before you chuck it.

Similar experience with WC adj. gas block, mine is a bit different in the opposite, once opened to lock back position, the set screw is wide open. I confirmed its position by pulling the gas block out to visually check and sure enough, the gas path is wide open. No point in using this WC adj block since it is either shut or wide open. My guess is they oversized the hole/gas path. (This is the same problem for control valves in piping application, too big of a valve and you got no control!)

Set up was on a new 20" barrel upper with JP LMOS, Criterion barrel and Surefire brake. Ammo is factory PPU 55 grains. Same result with my own match load of 55 gr blitz king @ 3100 fps.

So far I use JP, PRI, Seekin, SLR, and the cheap Kies unit, all functioned as intended, but the Wilson Combat is a no go.

I've spent a lot of time staring at mine and trying to come up with a modification to fix it but it's just not gonna happen. It appears the un threaded metering part of the screw is a significantly smaller O.D. than the corresponding bores I.D. it is definitely bottoming out on the far side of the bore when closed, there's just too much blow by.

• 5 years later...