Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber Slide and hammer problem

sandankenpo

Bad hammer/sear engagement or a weak sear spring combo. DO NOT SHOOT THE KIMBER ANY MORE untill it has be checked by a knowledgable person as to the cause and repaired.

The possibility of the gun firing multiple rounds when you only intend to fire one increases each tme you shoot it. It's not a question of if it will double/tripple just a matter of when.

I had a Kimber Custom Classic and the hammer followed. So I took it to my

local gun fixer and he put a new Chip McCormick hammer in it and it's been fine since then. He said he was disappointed in the quality of the Kimber hammer.

It had about 4000 rounds thru it when the hammer started following. The gun

has about 6000 rds since and has worked fine. B)

FYI

Kimber pistols come from the factory with chip mccormick hammers and sears.

you just replaced the part that failed with the same make of part.

I have a single stack with the mccormick sear and hammer, it just wont hold a good light trigger job. about 4 pounds is as low as it will go.

SmittyFL & I were just talking about this today - we both had bad luck with the McCormick sear. I never even shot mine because I could see it only engaged one hammer hook & not the other. Trashed it. The hammer was okay for me.

When in doubt, buy a new sear spring & throw the old one in the trash. It is the biggest cause of following I've ever seen. You need a firm push on the disconnector out of that spring, even if it adds .25lb or .5lb to your pull. My $.02.

the probem with replacing the sear and not the hammer as well is you have a (hopefully) harder part meshing with a softer one..

the harder sear will probably chew the hammer hooks up.

my experience with Chip Mccormick parts is they work good for a 5 lb trigger, but you need higer quality parts to go down lower.

I would look into extreme engineering hammer and sear, with a cylinder and slide sear spring.

Good Shooting

Harmon