Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aimpoint magnifier

dghboy315

there has been a lot of discussion of the aimpoint x3 magnifier on ar15.com. i was wondering what you all though from a 3gun point of view.

it seems like it would be a great addition for those that alrealy have an aimpoint. it should really help on long stages. on short stages, you could just take it off since it will mostlikely be on a QD mount. but what about stages w/ both long and short ranges. i don't think you would have time to take off the magnifier. would close targets be any more difficult w/ the magnifier and w/ an acog? or one could just close the front lens cap of the aimpoint and use it as a .... (i forget the name of that kind of sight)?

good point. i didn't even think of that. well, maybe if the 2 act as one and you don't take it apart during the stage, then it might be considered one. cuz you are would be really only using one sighting system which has 2 parts. maybe?

who can i officially ask?

Personally I wouldn't see it as any different than using a CQT. In some ways less advantagous as you can't turn a dial to raise or lower magnification, you have to physically mount/detach it.

What I would require is that if someone wished to use one they must have it on their rifle or on their person for the duration of the match. If you want to throw it in a pouch, or attach it to a side rail on a fore end for storage, whatever...it has to be on you.

I saw this at Shot Show pretty slick. Mounting Solutions plus had a mount that with the touch of a button drop the magnifier off to the side. Really slick I must say. Well I immediatley sought out the President (Mike Voight). No shock here it's two sights. OK for open no good for Tactical Scope.

I disagree with that ruling.

From Appendix D2 of the Rifle Rules:

Yes, no more than one optical/electronic sight.

The sighting device contains reticle. A magnifier has no reticle. Ergo it is not a sighting device. I doth protest.

This is a very short-sighted ruling, IMHO. There are potential better mousetraps on the horizon, and they will use selectable optics trains.

ok, so what is the protocol in appealing a ruling? who do i contact?

and i've seen that flip over mount. it does look slick, but upon further inspection others have noticed that it flips the magnifier in front of the left eye (if you are shooting w/ the right eye) and thus prohibiting shooting w/ both eyes open.

ok, so what is the protocol in appealing a ruling? who do i contact?

and i've seen that flip over mount. it does look slick, but upon further inspection others have noticed that it flips the magnifier in front of the left eye (if you are shooting w/ the right eye) and thus prohibiting shooting w/ both eyes open.

I think it's John Amidon.

Obviously, that particular mount does it wrong. That doesn't mean the concept is wrong. It's a variable power scope with two discrete powers - which is what scopes really should have been all along. Who really uses 2.25X on a 1-4X? You don't. You have it cranked all the way down or all the way up.