Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550 or 650 or Hornaday Ammo Plant

bovine5088

My first press was a 650.

It's still my current press.

Most who start by listening to their wallet and going with a red or green machine... Eventually end up with a blue one. How many times have you heard about that happening in the opposite direction?

However, the "correct" answer to this question is 1050. I'll end up there eventually.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too, went the red press route because it was all I could afford. A year later, a 550. a couple of years later and my family bought me a 650. I've never loaded on a 1050 but I understand it is considered a commercial machine so the no BS warranty is out the window. 

I can't imagine having loaded all the rounds I've loaded in the last 14 years on a red press.

OBTW, I use a rock chucker for my rifle rounds and .50 cal pistol rounds. The thing is a beast!!!

dj

I have a LNL and have been very happy. Probably about 40,000 rounds through it so far and no complaints or broken parts. I agree the 1050 is the dream press though. I am certain someday one will be mine but in the meanwhile I have no desire for a 650.

I loaded over 20k rounds on a link with a case feeder.  It was a great press but I grew very tired of issues with the primer slide.  After it broke on me for the third time, I went out that evening and bought a 650 with all the bells.

the 650 seems to be smoother and runs great.  The case feeder is soon much more reliable and I am able to load more rounds per hour on it.  At this time I would not go back to the lnl.