Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Grand Power X-Calibur IDPA-legal

jroback

I just picked up a Grand Power X-Calibur. It is IPSC-legal and will probably be ruled USPSA Production legal soon, according to other posters. In addition to USPSA, I also shoot IDPA. By my reading of the rules, I think it is not IDPA legal, but wanted to get some other opinions. Specifically:

The bull barrel: per 8.1.7.3., heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing are not legal except as allowed in ESP and CDP divisions with length restrictions. If you look under the ESP section of the rules, 8.2.2.2.21., its stated that heavy or cone style barrels on firearms are only legal with barrel lengths of 4.25” or less (the X-Calibur barrel is 4.99")

Lastly, I think the slide cuts (even though they standard on this gun) are not allowed in ESP, as per 8.2.2.3.2. removal of material from the exterior of the slide other than front cocking serrations, tri-top, engraving, carry melts, and high power cuts.

I hope I'm wrong about this, because I would love to use it in IDPA, but it seems pretty clear. Thx.

Directly below is found in the clarification section. www.idpa.com/misc

Rule 8.2.3.3.2. Removal of material from the exterior of the slide other than front cocking serrations, tri-top,
engraving, carry melts, and high power cuts.
Question: Is this slide machining allowed in IDPA?
Answer: Yes. With respect to slide machining, SSP, ESP and CDP, Original Equipment Manufacturer
(OEM) firearms with extensive slide machining are approved for use in IDPA if they meet all other
requirements for their respective Divisions. For slide machining, an OEM product is defined as a
complete firearm product, with specific model part numbers or sku’s catalogued as stock items by the
manufacturer and have a minimum annual production of 2,000 units for that specific model. Discontinued
models must have had a total production of 20,000 units for a specific model. IDPA HQ is working on a
process and document to be available on www.idpa.com to allow OEMs to identify firearms that meet this
requirement.

SSP rule

8.2.1.1.1. Have a minimum annual production of 2,000 units. Discontinued models must have had a
total production of 20,000 units.

(how would anyone locally or nationally know the confidential sales numbers of a product?)

As for Bull Barrel. SSP has no restriction.

If being used in ESP. Please tell me what a bull barrel is? Are bull barrels used to kill bulls? I see no definition of what makes a barrel "bull" in the RB. I have been told it is a thick barrel. Well OK how thick is thick??? Very confusing rule.

The barrel is not very bullish if you ask me. I would say, Buy one and play. Or call IDPA HQ.....Phone: (870) 545-3886

Here is a video of me racking one and playing with it at SHOT.

I agree, the "bull barrel" business is very confusing.

It is not hard to tell when a 1911 based gun has a bull barrel, it lacks a barrel bushing.

Other designs made without a bushing, how can you say? They have the barrel diameter thought suitable by the maker.

I think this is one of those don't ask don't tell situations. If you go in with an obviously stock gun (You might have to carry around a catalog cut to show it was made with those gills.) then the matter should not arise.

Thanks for the detailed explanations. I feel better about this gun being IDPA-legal after those responses.

From a shooting perspective, it is a very cool gun. On Saturday, I shot it against a CZ75 Shadow and an SP01, both of which have been cajunized. I have a lot of time on the range with the CZ's, and feel pretty comfortable with the grip and the overall feel of the guns; this was my first time shooting the X-Calibur. In my hands, the XC and SP01 had very limited muzzle flip, very similar to one another; they both had less flip than the 75. Note that the XC weighs about 8 oz less than the SP01; a lighter weight gun with limited flip is a real interesting combination.

I was more accurate with the SP01, but it could just be range time. The XC is a keeper for sure...

As for Bull Barrel. SSP has no restriction.

I ran into the same issue, when I was looking at purchasing a Tanfo Stock 2 for SSP/Production. It is not SSP Legal because of the Bull Barrel.

8.1.7. Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications for All Divisions
The following features and modifications are not allowed in any division unless otherwise
specifically allowed in the rulebook.
8.1.7.3. Heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing except as allowed in ESP and CDP
divisions with length restrictions.
Now, as mentioned in a previous post, what is the definition of a Bull Barrel. Like said earlier, in a 1911 it is pretty easy to see (and really in a Tanfo Stock 2 also), but from that video, I would say it isn't so obvious. The fluting maybe be a give away.