Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Ammo

Iggy42

So I am trying to figure out what 77gr I want to run next season, and I could use some recommendations. If I can save some cash in the process, great

Here is what I am looking at so far, would love to hear any other options

Atlanta Arms

Freedom

Nosler

Black Hills

Asym

Reloading is not something in the cards for me as of yet so I need something that I can rely on to be consistant at every match. Any ammo I run will be new as I had a VERY bad experiance with reman rounds from one of the companies listed above (won't say who so don't ask, however I will say it was Pistol rounds, not Rifle) so I will only go with new.

Well the best is Black Hills OTM Match = Mk262. But some guns won't shoot it well. Twist, etc. Hard to get and really expensive-dollar a round or more. If you're running adjustable gas block and low mass bolt and all that, forget the 77 gr. Why do you want to run 77gr ? I use it all the time in my main carbine, but not in my 3 gun stuff. Because it hits hard-it's a hot heavy round, not cause I'm shooting it far. I think an average is like 2450-2550 fps. In 3 Gun gun I use remanufactured 55r Freedom Munitions, 60 gr AAA Vmax., Remington 55 gr FMJ, Black Hills 55 gr FMJ-they all good. If you know your gun shoots 77gr well and you want it for like 600 yds in Texas or out west (wind,etc.) you need to get a box of each and try it. If you plan to shoot two different bullets out of your 3 gun, get a box of each and try them all. I think ASYM is way overpriced. Most matches are realizing that beyond 400 yds is not really conducive to shooter happiness, so it's not like 5 or 6 years ago when people were using it because of heavy steel etc. (or poorly set steel) out to 400. Some matches insist on sniper range shots 505, 550, 600 yds, so you almost need a different upper for those matches. A really good all around bullet is the AAA 60r Vmax-or any good 60 gr V max. Good velocity, good groups, can get to 550-575 pretty well. Everything is gun dependent. It's kind of like trying to find a new girlfriend or a good psychiatrist. You keep trying until it feels right and gives you what you want. No sure answer.

If you would be willing to entertain something that's not 69gr, the PPU 69gr match has been a fantastic round for my rifle. It's very consistent and can be had for around $0.50/round shipped. I'm shooting it out of an 18" 1/8 .223 Wylde barrel and can tag gongs at 600yd with no problems.

Anyone ever run CBC 77gr OTM?

Claiming BH MK262 velocities at 57 cents a round is certainly interesting, but being so cheap it definitely raises a few flags. Saw good things on a couple Google searches, but nothing from anyone that plays our game.