Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoulder tension

JFlowers

In order to meet my 2005 shooting goals I have started a Dry Fire Practice routine each night, consisting of Draws to Par Time, Mag Changes, Target Transitions, etc. I have noticed that I build a significantly uncomfortable amount of tension in my shoulders during my practice, tension I either don't experience or don't notice on the range. By the end of a drill series (say 10 draws to par time. Thanks to Matt Burkett for a cool browser based target and timer) I will be very tight in my shoulders, tight enough to be just plain uncomfortable.

Hopefully, some of my fellow BE'ers have experienced this and can give me some advice on dealing with this.

Thanks!

Do the same series of drills but instead of focusing your attention in your normal manner (focused on a goal or result), in each repetition include a conscious percentage of your attention that is directed toward the problem (tensing up) area in your body. Don't try to control the tension in your shoulders, instead just become aware of it as you repeat the drills. With enough practice oriented in that way, you may find the problem "fixes itself."

be

I'll humbly suggest what worked for me to get rid of this very same problem.

For a few dryfire sessions, like a week of dryfiring everyday, I concentrated on relaxing my shoulders. When I did this, because of the habit, I indexed my gun low, so I compensated by twisting my wrists and bending a little bit my elbows to align the sights.

Let me explain a bit better, when I relaxed my shoulders, my gun got low and with the FS above the RS, so I placed the FS on target like this and then used it as a pivot point to raise the RS.

Hope that helps.

First, what Brian said is right on. Just being aware of a problem is key to solving it.

Since you are starting a dry fire routine I suspect your shoulder muscles are not accustomed to the exercise. As they tire other muscles try to support the action you are attempting and this adds to the tension. Try doing a few drills and as you notice the tension building stop. Perhaps work on moving from one position to another for a minute or two then go back to your dry fire drill. You may also find if you relax your arms and shoulders for a couple of seconds between each drill you will tire less and tense less. A good way to relax the shoulders between drills, or, after a few repetitions, is to take a deep breath, tense your shoulders as much as possible, try to put them as high as possible then exhale and drop your shoulders.

All things being equal, you may not be experienceing "tension". If you start, after not dry practicing for a while, you may be experiencing muscle fatigue. It takes just a bit to build these muscles, and they really arent used day to day. Start doing pushups on your off days and I bet that "tension" goes away in about 1 week. KURTM

Thanks Guys.

Due to a change in the personal situation, it looks like its going to be exercise and dry fire practice until late spring so hopefully I can overcome any muscle fatigue and mental tensioning by then.

BE and the BE'ers are a great bunch!