Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Going To 'The Dark Side'

pbcaster45

Nothing new, getting a little burned out experimenting with new 38 Super Major loads. I did want to give a big thumbs up for the Dawson Magazine Tuning Kit. I was having problems with the one 170mm magazine I had, rounds were popping up out ahead of the extractor and jamming up like crazy. At first I thought I'd gotten a 40 S&W magazine by mistake (it worked fine in my 40 S&W Edge!) but then I noticed that STI doesn't make 170mm magazines in 40 S&W. I got the Dawson Kit and set the magazine lips per instructions. Learned a lot and now that magazine functions fine! I think I'll tune the rest of my 38 Supers and my 40 S&W's too - sort of enjoyed doing it!

After%20Tuning%202.jpg

Edited by pbcaster45

I was getting pretty frustrated with N-105 in my .38 Super loads. When loading 10.2 grs. in .38 Super cases I was getting inconsistent seating depth and some bullets were getting longer before taper crimping. I noticed with some cases I could seat a bullet right on top of the powder charge with finger pressure alone! Turns out my expander was oversize (I think), it measured .355 when checked with a caliper. I backed the expander out until it barely entered the case mouth and that cured the bullet creep! Big thumbs up to the Redding Competition Seater Die I use, no scratched bullet jackets. A temporary fix until I can get another expander plug.

Lucky for me the case filling powder charges and .381 taper crimp kept the bullets from seating deeper during feeding. Learned some good stuff today!

UPDATE!!!

I've been loading my .38 Super Major test loads on a single stage press. I've got a large bag of brass already prepped for testing (sized, expanded, and primed). In going through the bag of brass I found that some cases will allow a .355 diameter bullet to seat with finger pressure only. Looks like I'm going to have sort the brass and delegate the thinner brass for my Kimber .38 Super and cast/plated bullets. Of course I've got a pile of Starline .38SC brass I haven't even started with. Does 38SC brass have thicker walls around the case mouth? Hmm...

Don't think it's the expander plug anymore.

Edited by pbcaster45

Its not the powder. I am using the Hornady Haps and they are .356. I loaded up some minor loads with Hornady XTP they are .355. I hade the same thing happen the bullets were loose in the case.

Did some checking and found out that Dillon uses the same expander F for 380, 9mm, and 38super/supercomp. When you adjust the expander down like you should for the swager, the expander goes to deep in the case and expands

it to where the bullet is loose. Lucky I was using the .356 haps and didn't have a problem, but when I went to the .355 xtp that is where it showed up. I had to pull 300 round and reload them. I backed out the expander and all was great.

I load on a 1050.

I love gadgets so I'm going to try using a undersize 38 Super Carbide Die, that should help!

Tried HS-6 today. Not bad, gave a consistent orange glow above the comp and shot well. My two favorite loads with N-105 and SR-4756 shoot in the same spot which is a big plus. The new load with HS-6 shot low and to the right. I'll have to chronograph these two loads when I get a chance.

Bullet: Montana Gold 124 gr. JHP
Powder: VihtaVuori N-105 10.2
Primer: Winchester Small Rifle
Case: Starline .38 Super +P
LOAL: 1.250
Recoil Spring: 8 lbs. with Dawson Aluminum Buffer Pad
Powder: Hodgdon HS-6 8.85 grs.
Case: Starline 38 Super +P
LOAL: 1.240
Recoil Spring: 8 lbs. with Dawson Aluminum Buffer Pad
The N-105 load (30 yards off-hand)
Open%20Gun.jpg
Edited by pbcaster45

• 2 weeks later...

Got a pretty good deal on 1200 Speer 124 gr. TMJ RNs this weekend. Are these good for making major in the 9mm or 38 Super? I know Speer loads similar bullets in the .357 Sig but I'm not sure...

I would not normally buys Speer TMJs for my Trubor (EXPENSIVE!) but they were on clearance at Montana Gold prices!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally found time to get out to the open air range and chronograph my last two test loads. HOLY COW, HS-6 is nice! I'll have to be on the lookout for more.

Powder: VihtaVuori N-105 10.2
Case: Starline .38 Super +P
LOAL: 12.50 (.986 with Stoney Point)
Avg. Vel.: 1364.02 fps
ES: 31.17
SD: 9.74
PF: 169
Recoil Spring: 8 lbs. with Dawson Aluma Buffer Pad
Powder: Hodgdon HS-6 8.85 grs.
Case: Starline 38 Super +P
LOAL: 1.240 (.976 with Stoney Point)
Avg. Vel.: 1409.57 fps
ES: 25.92
SD: 7.41
PF: 174
Recoil Spring: 8 lbs. with Dawson Aluma Buffer Pad
Edited by pbcaster45

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note. Earlier I segregated my brass between the slightly thinner brass and the thicker stuff. I planned to use my Undersize 38 Super Carbide Die just for thinner brass but worked really well on the thicker ones too. Got much more consistent seating from the tighter bullet fit. I'll just use the regular die for my Kimber (it shoots better with .357 diameter bullets anyway).

Edited by pbcaster45

• 6 months later...

I had to send my Trubor back to STI for warranty work, the hammer was following so much it was like shooting a single-action revolver. They replaced the grips (that's something I wouldn't have considered). Anyway, back to the reloading bench! Been wanting to try CFE and WAC again and now I can. For Science!

Trubor20Super.jpg