Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

any Range Officer Compact experience yet

steviesterno

Hey all,

I've been thinking about making the switch in carry gear to a CCO sized 1911 for a while now, but haven't been able to stomach the 1300 for a dan wesson. Pretty much the only name in lightweight CCO style guns until I think just recently. Springfield came out with a CCO version that's been in 45 for a while, and they just released a 9mm. I was wondering if anybody has any experience on either, but especially the 9mm. Seems like it might make a great carry gun, and I hear good things about the quality of their full size.

My concern is that it's still like $775, so by the time you swap sights and maybe upgrade from parkerized it will be close to the cost of the DW. Anybody here do something similar?

ah, the Ruger looks like it has a full size grip to me, and from what I can see on the Ruger website. I'm really hoping for an officers size grip. that's what's drawing me to that size, shorter grip that would poke me when I sit down and still a decent slide/barrel to help function.

Good news, the Mrs. is very pro 1911, and I showered her the CCO size and she suggested it might be perfect for her smaller hands... so that's a helpful vote

I have a cmd for daily carry and have had no issues. Comfortable, concealable with a hi rise belt slide or Alien Gear IWB hybrid. Sure, triiger could be better but its controllable and still better than my FS SA. Only gripe is the mags as mentioned in several posts across the Enosphere. Using CM's and have had 0 problems.

Shot the 9mm RO Champion and 9mm RO Compact at SHOT. Both were pretty good, decent triggers, good sights, I didn't shoot groups for accuracy because whacking the steel at speed was so much fun. Had no failures when I shot them and both felt pretty soft to shoot as you'd expect with a 9mm 1911.

nice, i'm glad to hear about your experiences Pat. for the price, I don't expect the best trigger or finish in the world, but if it's going to be a carry gun who cares? It will get beat up on my hip anyway. did the RO compact balance well? I'm thinking with that fat 9mm barrel it might be heavy up front.

Yeah its no match trigger but I found it good enough to hit what I wanted at speed. I didn't find it muzzle heavy for me, partly because its a 4" and partly because I'm used to Open guns lol. The real question would be how does it ride in a holster since thats pretty much where it will be for most of its life if its a carry gun.