Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

125 gr RN Bear Creek bullets and SP-01

nmbpman

Hello all,

I'm trying to work up a load for my CZ SP-01 with 125 RN Bear Creek bullets. The problem that I am having is that I have to load them down to 1.060" before they stop hitting the rifling. It seems awfully short to me. Is there a problem with the RN profile in CZ's? Are any of you CZ shooters using these bullets or which profile of bullet should I be using in these pistols? I would like to use a coated lead bullet just for price sake. Any help would be appreciated.

I can't comment on the Bear Creek bullets, but I had a similar issue with Bayou Bullets 135 gr RN. I had to load to 1.100" which was shorter than I liked. Your options are to have your chamber reamed, or switch to a profile that works. I can load the Bayou Bullets 124 gr RN as long as the magazine will allow. That profile seems friendlier to short CZ chambers. Bayou Bullets are coated lead as well.

If you're sitting on a boat load of your current projectiles, chamber reaming may be better. It's only about $30. I didn't want to have my gun away from me for that long, and I didn't have all that many 135 gr bullets left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I don't have but a box of 500 of them, so its not an issue to find something that will work. I would like to be able to run whatever bullets I can find, but these micro-chambers on these CZ's aren't too friendly with all bullet profiles. So it looks like I will have to ream the chamber or use specific bullets.

Yes sir, those are the options. If you want to run anything, just send it off and get it reamed. I only have one competition gun, so I buy bullets by the case and only have one load that works for me in the short chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I knew, I'm in the process of looking for someone to do it. I sent an inquiry over to automatic accuracy, hopefully I'll hear something in a couple of days. I'm not even going to mess around with trying to find a bullet to fit the current throat, that will probably just get expensive and frustrating.

Hello all,

I'm trying to work up a load for my CZ SP-01 with 125 RN Bear Creek bullets. The problem that I am having is that I have to load them down to 1.060" before they stop hitting the rifling. It seems awfully short to me. Is there a problem with the RN profile in CZ's? Are any of you CZ shooters using these bullets or which profile of bullet should I be using in these pistols? I would like to use a coated lead bullet just for price sake. Any help would be appreciated.

My CZ does not like Bear Creek 125gr due to its profile you will have to load short anyway.

I have shot thousand if BC 135gr, CZ likes it feeds better.

Only way to find out is to try them with your gun and decide what works.

Hello all,

My CZ does not like Bear Creek 125gr due to its profile you will have to load short anyway.

I'm just going to get the throat reamed, that way I don't have any more trouble trying to load for this pistol, its not my only 9mm, so it would be nice to not change my reloading set up everytime I need bullets.

I have a CZ 75 and have the same issue, although I have not had any trouble with them .

Last time I ordered he even told me specifically that I would have to most likely have to load them short due to the bullet profile.

I'm using the same Bear Creek 125 gr RN, and load them from 1.055-1.060 OAL

Hello all,

I'm just going to get the throat reamed, that way I don't have any more trouble trying to load for this pistol, its not my only 9mm, so it would be nice to not change my reloading set up everytime I need bullets.

I have used Manson Reamers on my Shadow barrels in order to get the Bear Creek 124g bullets from an OAL of 1.044" to 1.145". I don't think this route is really worth the cost and time.

Although the 124g make for extremely consistent loads I think going with the Bear Creek 135g and 147g bullets would be the wiser move since they are slightly narrower.

I can load the Bear Creek 135g and 147g out to the max length of the magazines and they will still pass the plunk test. IMHO they also have less felt recoil.

Edited by himurax13

I looked into buying the reamers, but in the end, I don't think it is worth it to own the tools. I sent it out to have the throat reamed since it was cheaper to have it done rather than buying the tools I would probably only use once. I mainly just don't want the constant battle to find a bullet that I could load out to normal lengths. The wait time to get the work done is not excessive, so that is not a huge problem for me to wait a little bit.

Well I only purchased the tools since I never send my stuff out to get worked on. If I had done the plunk test with the 124g RN Bear Creeks on all of my other 9mm pistols I would have discovered that my CZ's were the only ones with the issue. On the plus side I have Manson Reamers in 9mm, .40 S&W (which I have used a few times), and .45 ACP should the need ever arise, and my CZ's can pretty much chamber any 9mm profile on the market.

I higly suggest getting some Bear Creek 135g and 147g and try and load them out to the max length of the magazines and do the plunk test.

I am sure you will have positive results and there will be no need for you to waste your time getting your barrel reamed. The 135g and 147g bullets also require less powder for roughly the same price as the 124g bullets.

If you had to chose between the 135 or the 147 BC bullets, which one do you like better? I think the 135 would be a good balance between the 124 and the 147, but I have not personally shot the 135, I would like to hear your opinion on them. Also, what kind of accuracy are you seeing out the coated bullets in your CZ?

If you had to chose between the 135 or the 147 BC bullets, which one do you like better? I think the 135 would be a good balance between the 124 and the 147, but I have not personally shot the 135, I would like to hear your opinion on them. Also, what kind of accuracy are you seeing out the coated bullets in your CZ?

That is a good question. I have not figured out which profile I like better. They both feel a tad softer than the 115g and 124g. The 135g would probably be better for reliability and compatibility while the 147g would be better for steel plates and bowling pins.

I honestly don't spend a lot of time on bullseye accuracy but both of these loads have no issues with 25 to 35 yard targets during a match and the SD I see over the chrono is less than 8. The only issue I see with moly coating is that it builds up in the chamber and around the barrel after a few hundred rounds.

Edited by himurax13

That is a good question. I have not figured out which profile I like better. They both feel a tad softer than the 115g and 124g. The 135g would probably be better for reliability and compatibility while the 147g would be better for steel plates and bowling pins.

I honestly don't spend a lot of time on bullseye accuracy but both of these loads have no issues with 25 to 35 yard targets during a match and the SD I see over the chrono is less than 8. The only issue I see with moly coating is that it builds up in the chamber and around the barrel after a few hundred rounds.

Thanks for the info, I'll try them both and see what my gun likes.

I don't think you would have a bit of trouble loading Bayou Bullets 124 gr RN out to mag length with a stock chamber either FWIW

10/4 on that. Bayou 124 RN's loaded OAL are only limited by our magazines. 1.16 passes the ol' plunk test in my gun.