Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Work Rifle: Do I really need CHF

apetrulis01

Just a question I am throwing out there. Do I really need a CHF barrel? This barrel is not going to be on a full auto gun. Yes it will be shot in training, but again not full auto and not thousands of rounds a day. I will probably be training with it 3 to 4 times a month (sometimes more).

I am looking at the Bravo Company uppers and wondering if it is worth another $100 for the CHF.

By the way I am a Deputy Sheriff, not a contractor or anything like that.

Opinions.

Thanks,

Adam

If the purpose of the rifle is for competitions and you know exactly what you are going to encounter (paper bad guys etc) then you can game the rifle and it's parts to exactly what you are going to need.

If the purpose of the rifle is a duty/patrol weapon and it's there for when a day goes to shit, it needs to be able to handle whatever just happened, which we won't know what it is until it happens, though we have a rough idea. If your rifle can't handle that bad of a day, your day just went from bad to really shitty. Your call.

It is going to be a work gun only. That being said it is going to be chrome lined either way. The question is whether it is worth the extra money to get CHF. I have had other ARs that have shot just fine that were not CHF but is seems everyone is jumping on the CHF bandwagon. Before I get on I was just seeing if the extra $100 is worth it or better to buy more ammo to practice with.

I run an ACR for 3 gun, I also use 3 gun as a simulator, I only compete against myself. 16" CHF Melonite barrel and she's heavy. Dragged it through the dust out here, factory ammo, handloads she eats anything with an acceptable accuracy window (I won't win any long distance matches but I can ruin your day from 500 yards or less). Latest 3 gun bandwagon I've seen is all about carbon fiber barrels instead of steel. My ACR is what I would grab if I needed a duty weapon, but it's mine and fits my needs in my current environment. Your duty weapon need to fit you for your environment, if you've done the research on CHF vs non CHF and it's not worth $100 TO YOU, then it's not worth it (I honestly haven't looked into the difference). Chrome is great, I have a chrome lined AR, works fine, as I said my ACR is not chrome lined, instead they went with a melonite treatment, again works fine. Shooting 3 to 4 times a month at say 150 rounds a session is 450-600 a month, 12 months comes out too 5400-7200 rounds a year for your expected usage of training

US military M16 barrels are not CHF, and they seem to work just fine.

Seeing that you can get a new chrome lined barrel for ~$200, the CHF barrel will have to last at least 50% longer to make it worth the extra cost.

Pat Roger's own tests with one of EAG's BCM loaner guns, "Filthy 14", went over 40K rounds with minimal maintenance, and that was with a standard BCM barrel.

Mick

US military M16 barrels are not CHF, and they seem to work just fine.

Seeing that you can get a new chrome lined barrel for ~$200, the CHF barrel will have to last at least 50% longer to make it worth the extra cost.

Pat Roger's own tests with one of EAG's BCM loaner guns, "Filthy 14", went over 40K rounds with minimal maintenance, and that was with a standard BCM barrel.

Mick

Well said...

A hammer forged barrel is not a guarantee of anything except higher cost.

The differences between CHF and other types of barrels in the context you offered are marginal and can only be expressed in very broad generalities, if at all.

For a serious-use gun the method used to manufacture the barrel is less important than proving that the barrel doesn't start to string shots off into the hinterlands as it heats-up and your maintenance regimen.

I have CHF barrels on my serious rifles because I have found that, at commodity-level pricing, they seem to be less likely to string shots as they heat-up. I may be dreaming, but that is my experience and installing a CHF barrel raises my confidence in my weapons - which is something I can't buy, but can get for a few more $.

As far as maintenance regimen, AR-based weapons have wear-items and stressed parts that aren't always obvious. Learn what they are, replace them prior to the failure curve turning against you, then shoot it 'til it glows as often as you want and it will be a tool you can count on when you need it.

MikeN

Edited by MJN1957