Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who made this comp?

Glk21C

For my own curiosity I am trying to figure out who made this comp. It is on my Tripp open gun that was built about 10 years ago, 38 super. I've asked Tripp, they don't have records from back then anymore. It appears to me like it has several styles from different builders.

Top ports seem similar to Brazos Thundercomp.

Front ports seem similar to a Dan Bedell comp.

Overall it seems similar to an EGW comp.

Look distinctly familiar to anyone?

Thanks

post-6365-0-93201600-1420299374_thumb.jp

post-6365-0-25773100-1420299364_thumb.jp

It Looks like an EGW, EDM Comp. The ports get smaller looking very similar to mine. George used to make the EDM comp with the front baffles CNC machined. If you look on the Website at the EDM Comps ports then at the CNC versions front baffles and combine the two you are there. They probably went to all CNC on that to not have two set ups on the new versions. I ordered that comp (1999) less the front baffles and machined my own. The EDM comps have a little bump you might be able to see if not buried by carbon in the bottom of the port. EDM comps had tighter corner radiuses in the ports not being cut by a mill bit. They are a good part. I could be wrong lol, but looks like that to me.

I agree with David. EGW, all the way. George made comps for other smiths as well, not just EGW. He also had EDM comps and then he offered regular machined comps. George made some very effective comps.

Thanks. Definitely an EGW EDM comp. Has those little bumps you describe, went to the EGW site and saw exactly what you are talking about. What I did forget about is the "Jim Hand" comp EGW makes. Top ports look like mine, the one they currently show is a 5 port but I could have sworn I saw at one point a 7 port version on there. Jim shoots in the same general area I do so if I see him this upcoming season I'll definitely ask.

Thanks for your help.

We have covered some miles shooting and been lucky to meet some of the great people over the years. This sport has given a lot of great memories to me. Good to see you posting Build4u. Glk21C mentioned Jim, is that the same Jim that worked with George and then went out on his own. PM me with his info if it is. Jim has great talent.

Glk21C mentioned Jim, is that the same Jim that worked with George and then went out on his own. PM me with his info if it is. Jim has great talent.

I really have no idea, there is a Jim Hand who shoots in my same general area, to me the name is too coincidental but I'll know for sure at some point.