Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Side holes comp

Tino2212

Maybe its my grip/technique but I like the side ports. On pistols that I've had that didn't have them, the dot seemed harder to track and would wiggle side to side or to one side. I would find myself having to wait for the dot to center itself. On pistols with side ports, the dot goes straight up and down and its much easier to track.

Straight up and down is much easier to control and follow up shots seem to be noticeably faster.

Another local shooter with a stock trubore actually drilled side ports into his comp on his drill press and said it made a huge difference.

Maybe its my grip/technique but I like the side ports. On pistols that I've had that didn't have them, the dot seemed harder to track and would wiggle side to side or to one side. I would find myself having to wait for the dot to center itself. On pistols with side ports, the dot goes straight up and down and its much easier to track.

Straight up and down is much easier to control and follow up shots seem to be noticeably faster.

Another local shooter with a stock trubore actually drilled side ports into his comp on his drill press and said it made a huge difference.

+1

I think the side ports help stabilize the the horizontal movement and allows the dot to track better vertically. YMMV.

it may make a difference. One thing I do know is tanfoglio used to have either 1 or 2 side ports on each side of the comp on their eric gold team open guns. They phased it out. Eric himself had tried it without the side holes, with the side holes and with even bigger side holes. it said he felt no benefit from them and much like kneelingatlas said they just were robbing some gas from the baffles that help keep muzzle down and also help control the lock time.

My comp is six straight up. It torques to the right. My thought was if I were going to machine side ports it would be on the right side only to counter the torque. Anyone ever try this?

No, but I've seen guns with the comp clocked to one side to match the gun to the shooter. Your idea might work for you. You could always add ports to the other side if it doesn't work out.

Most side ports really just get the gas out of the comp chambers sooner. They can't really do anything to counteract rotational forces that are generated by the bullet traversing the bore. You could probably do better by opening one of your chambers up on the side that the gun rotates towards, so that gas is directed out in the direction of muzzle rise. It would require some experimentation though. Trouble is, it's difficult to ascertain whether the dot is deflecting due to gripping issues, powder choice, comp design, or even such things as recoil spring choice or firing pin stop angle. It all adds to the overall response. I think I would tend to stick with all ports vertical at first and do some work analyzing grip technique, loads, and spring combinations until those variables can be quantified. Then look at porting changes if you still aren't getting what you need. You can't put metal back once it's removed....

Do the side holes like brasos makes them in there version of a tru bore barrel make a difference ?

And if they do what is the effect they create ?

I have had to many open guns :-). I have had numerous 38S and 9 Major with many different comps. The Brazos Thuundercomp II is always the winner for me.

I don't think Brazos designed that comp in a vacum. I will say the comp is better on 38S with N105 or IMR 4756. Will the comp work in 9 Major with Sil or HS6, you bet.