Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrade? M&P to...

txolds442

Thermobollocks makes a good point that's often overlooked. With dedicated race guns often comes race responsibility. The TS is not a zero maintenance gun like most polymer duty guns are. You will spend time tinkering with small parts to fix little things that aren't broken, and you will want to have a routine spring/miscellaneous parts replacement schedule. This bothers some people, but not me. My previous hobby was go kart racing and anyone who plays in motorsports will agree that you'll spend more time off track keeping everything ship shape and weeding out tiny deficiencies that may or may not effect performance than you will actually racing. I think of dedicated competition guns with the exact same mindset.

Wait, what? Why would you tinker with a TS? Sure, if you like to tinker, you can, but the gun runs perfectly out of the box. Recoil springs don't wear out any faster than they do on crappy plastic guns as far as I know.

One thing I learned from racing bicycles and motorcycles is that tinkering more often causes problems than solves them.

I wish I could say my TS has been completely tinker free, but that's not been the case. A lot of the things I messed with weren't actually causing problems, but I had a few issues that needed attention. It may just be that I bought it with some miles already and it was about due for a routine fluid flush and belt change.

In regards to tinkering, I've tinkered with the m&p a bit by adding a SSS Limited Magwell, Apex FSS, Apex RAM, SSS Tungsten Guide rod, ISMI Springs 13#, Costa Catalyst, Dawson Precision Adjustable rear; FO front, Taran Tactical 140mm basepads and springs and stipple job. Basically, trying to squeeze out all of the potential of this pistol, so the burden of performance is all on me. Let's face it I know I would improve my fundamentals and as someone else mentioned sprint faster and lose a little (or a lot) or weight etc., but I want more horsepower, more CCs on my bike, or in this case a finer pistol.

So, I'm revising my original questions. To the TS owners, do you like it? And would you purchase it again? What are some defects/drawbacks/etc of the pistol itself if any? How’s the maintenance schedule?

Thanks again, guys.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206488&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Its not TS specific but it's close enough.

Drawbacks? As stated above, the grip size is not for everybody, I have medium small hands and I managed to get very comfortable with it. The finish durability kinda sucks, the blue wears pretty quick and the silver coating will chip or scratch if it's used as often as mine. CZ's are known for less than awesome finish and internal machining, these are aesthetic problems that don't bother me at all and have no effect on function. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

In regards to tinkering, I've tinkered with the m&p a bit by adding a SSS Limited Magwell, Apex FSS, Apex RAM, SSS Tungsten Guide rod, ISMI Springs 13#, Costa Catalyst, Dawson Precision Adjustable rear; FO front, Taran Tactical 140mm basepads and springs and stipple job. Basically, trying to squeeze out all of the potential of this pistol, so the burden of performance is all on me. Let's face it I know I would improve my fundamentals and as someone else mentioned sprint faster and lose a little (or a lot) or weight etc., but I want more horsepower, more CCs on my bike, or in this case a finer pistol.

So, I'm revising my original questions. To the TS owners, do you like it? And would you purchase it again? What are some defects/drawbacks/etc of the pistol itself if any? How’s the maintenance schedule?

Thanks again, guys.

I don't own one, or even so much as have shot one. But I can tell you I almost dropped a grand on one the only time I have held one. There was one at the gunshow, and dry firing the trigger alone was almost enough to make me get it. If you haven't shot one or held one, I will just say that in my opinion I thought the stock trigger was nicer than most all 19/2011s Ive shot or dry fired. YMMV.

Caveats: I've only run 4k rounds through mine, but I've been shooting other cz's for the last couple years, so I'm familiar with the platform.

I love the gun. The finish might be a drawback for some, but all race guns get beat up, and cerakoting is cheap. The stock grips are a bit fat for me, but after sanding them down thinner and putting some grip tape on them, I'm comfortable with the gun and have no plans to alter it further. The front sight was a bit fat for me, so I filed it down slightly thinner.

As far as maintenance, I plan to treat it like my 75b's by field stripping every 500-1000 rds, changing the recoil spring once a year, cleaning the extractor every 2k rounds or so (a 10-15 minute job, tops), and by using a separate slide stop for major matches. I haven't broken a slide stop in any gun yet, but cz's are eventually prone to it, and I'd rather that happen in practice than in a match. I think it's an insanely awesome gun for the money, and the guys I shoot against have been very impressed with the performance and reliability.

So I can't chime in on the TS, but for me a heavy gun with a sweet trigger was well worth the cost.

Ok, so for a long time I subscribed to the notion that the gun really doesn't matter. And while yes this is true, especially at the A class and above, I think the D/C shooters benefit the most from an equipment upgrade.

I hit a plateau in C range that seemed hard to overcome... It was frustrating and got in my head a bit. I Shot a glock at the time and struggled with most things a C class shooter struggles with I needed to put more time into fundamentals instead of trying to go fast. When I bought a new gun it instilled some confidence to push the gun harder and faster while practicing good fundamentals. I shot it more accurately (I think it pointed better with a better balance in my hands and was softer recoiling) In turn I started having more fun and this greatly improved my shooting and I surpassed my old abilities quickly. Now I have once again plateaued but I know full well its because I need to spend more time practicing. And when I do run my glock (or any of my other guns for that matter) from time to time, I run them in step with my high $$$ customs or semi custom guns with great triggers, etc.

My experience closely mirrors mulrick's, all except the last sentence. I have a hard time going back to the plastic guns and there sub awesome triggers.

I should say, I still run them slower but probably only 10-15%. Because the only time I do this (run other guns) is in local outlaw action pistol I have no real data except that I seem to fall in about the same place against the same shooters at that match weather I run my Limited rig, or my production glock, SS 1911, Sig P226/9, M&P, etc etc. But this is within about a 10% margin.

If I were to walk out and try and compete at the B level with a Glock in Limited I know I would be outpaced...