Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The draw...

the fastest person to shoot USPSA on the draw in a match or just doing it at the shot show was KEVIN COATS of gause,tx. I saw him do several 1st shot draws at area matches on 4/7 yd targets in the .50's  At the shot show one year he avg.'ed .54's for 3 draw's at the safariland booth. He has not shot in 2 yrs. & we miss him

World Champion Eric Grauffel was quoted in a magazine article as saying 1.1 sec for his first A at 10 y, every time (!), makes him happy. I found that astonishing at the time, in the light of all these people claiming 0.5x sec draws. I guess the "A" and the "every time" separates the men from the boys in IPSC, not the 0.5 sec from the 1.1 sec...

Maybe Jerome or Julien can enlighten us about Eric's draw...

--Detlef

In my limited experience, to draw sub 1 second, you rely on proper position and alignment, not so much sight picture. It seems that a lot of the big dogs agree that it takes about 1 second to be able to call your shot in the draw.

The big thing I think people overlook is the importance of a good grip every time, the 1st shot is only one of many to come and a bad grip on the draw can really mess you up.

I'm slowly getting my way into sub sec draws with an A at about 5 yards.  What bugs me is how to get control with the next shots.  If I draw too fast I usually also trigger the second shot too fast w/c usually ends up somewhere other than the A. How do you guys relax on succeeeding shots after "working" yourself up on the draw? Thanks.

Seeing doesn't necessarily mean seeing the sights. Usually for a sub-second fraw (in my case) I have a razor sharp focus on the target. My index takes over from there.

Depending on the difficulty of the shot I either keep a razor focus on the target or change to the sights. I doubt the second shot would be terribly difficult though if the target were easy enough to warrant a sub-second draw. In that case, you probably would not have to see the sights for the follow up.

(I hope I made some sense there.)

(Edited by TheItlianStalion at 10:01 pm on Jan. 22, 2003)

• 2 weeks later...