Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

software for "drawing" or building a stage

hi all,

seems everything i google gives me very old threads and links.

i looked at sketchup but it seems to need licensing etc etc. not sure if it still does uspsa stage design. looks like it wants payment. i have not clicked through it giving all the permissions google wants.......hate doing that for naught.

anyway can some one please send me info on how i can draw stages? i use a Mac.

thanks

eddie

SketchUp takes some time and effort to use right, and that may or may not be worth your while.

At my home range, we have both a very limited amount of time for set up and a limited amount of time for shooting. We also have relatively tight bays that are separated by walls, not berms; they are bullet resistant but not designed to get shot up on purpose, therefore we have to avoid shoot-throughs to the walls. So, when I first started designing stages for my club, I combined actual measurements with Google Earth imagery to build a precise model of our range layout in SketchUp. Now I can build stages virtually, check all the angles and views, and minimize the number of match-day tweaks in order to get us up and running on time.

If you don't have a lot of similar restrictions, you may be better doing the PowerPoint/clip-art type "not to scale" stage design and leave it to the setup crew to get the details sorted out.