Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Bullet Feeder Die on 650XL, crushing brass

shinne

I tried searching for this topic but couldn't find anything related.

I got a Hornady Bullet Feeder die just because I wanted to just drop bullets down the die and just focus on pulls. It works with BBL 45 200gr SWC bullets without me having to do any polishing of the collets which is cool. The only problem i'm having with is it that when the brass gets to the bullet feeder stage, sometimes the brass will not center completely to the die and it will crush the lip of the brass when I try to force it in. I had to center the brass a little and it will feed just fine but it kind of defeats the purpose and takes away from the flow of reloading on the press.

I don't know what the issue is exactly. I flared the brass to .481 but sometimes the brass varies in size. Did anybody else have this problem? Should I reduce the flare down on the brass?

Bet ya this is the problem:

"I flared the brass to .481 but sometimes the brass varies in size. Did anybody else have this problem? Should I reduce the flare down on the brass?" Unless your brass is the same size (length) your flare will be more pronounced in longer brass than the shorter brass, possibly enough to hang up on the BFD.

I was thinking about it, but they're really expensive and in the future I'm going to get a Mr Bulletfeeder and would have two of those funnels. I found someone that made an adapter fo the Lee Bullet Tube that's basically will be like a mini Mr Bullet Feeder but with a hornady bullet feeder die. Total price for all the parts is around $70.

someone on the local state forums made an adpater to work with the lee multiple tube. This is for my .45 ACP. It works really well! It's like a cheap version of the mini bullet feeder! Only problem is the bullets tip over if I go too fast.

RF2c3Htl.jpg

someone on the local state forums made an adpater to work with the lee multiple tube. This is for my .45 ACP. It works really well! It's like a cheap version of the mini bullet feeder! Only problem is the bullets tip over if I go too fast.

RF2c3Htl.jpg

how many bullets does that feeder hold?

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know if the expander that came with the Hornady bullet feed die will fit in the 650 powder dropper? I doubt that it will but you never know!

With some lathe work it will. :surprise:

IMG_0632_zps30b8f232.jpg

Why the two different diameters on the Hornady die? Could you have made it one diameter all the way through?

If your bullets are tipping on index, you need more flare put into the case. Also do you have a tube on the die or just the die body?

Mine will begin resting bullets on top of the brass instead of inside a little if I don't have at least 8 bullets in the tube. It uses the bullet weight stacked together to push the bullet into the case.