Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet shaving sns/lee die/xl650

b1gcountry

Okay, so i loaded a little less than 1k sns 125 9mm on a Dillon 650 without this problem, but now my lee seating die is snagging on the case mouth, and the bullet is getting shaved off on one side, and crushing part of the case rim.

This did not happen until I tightened the allen bolts under my shell plate to solve another problem. I also cleaned out the seating die.

Another symptom of my problem may be a small hair thin ring of brass that is being sliced off by my seating die.

If i set the bullet firmly in the case, and carefully guide out up onto the die, it will only crush one rim in 35 or so. Otherwise it is 1 in 10

Edited by b1gcountry

Since you realigned your platform loosen all of your dies and run cases up in them and retighten. Also make sure the shell plate is still aligned nicely with the primer punch. Let's see if that cures a lot or all of it. If it worked perfect before it will work perfect again. :cheers:

I recently switched from the 124gr with beveled base to the new 125gr style from SNS and had to increase the case mouth belling on the powder die. I had the same problems.

Some are able to seat and crimp in the same step, but I have had no luck with this.

Over belling in some seating dies causes the lip to hang and fold over in some cases when entering the die. It happened to me using Hornady dies and a Lyman M-die, the expander stem came loose and was progressively loosening and over expanding until it would catch and fold the brass exactly the same way.

I think youre over belling belling based on the fact you only have damage on one side of the bullet, rather than shaving all the way around.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

Okay. Success! I tried pretty much everything suggested here, and i got things working better than they were before.

When i added more belling, the case would not fit in the sizing die at all. When i removed most of the belling, it ran much more smoothly. I loaded 150 rds, and had one issue with bullet shaving, so i added a little bell Back in.

I also thoroughly cleaned the seating die, and the patches i ran through were absolutely filthy.

Tom