Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First uspsa match

Fordfan485

Firstly, great to see you are getting POV and 3rd person video right form the start. it will help you learn a lot about what you're doing on a stage.

nothing bad, but just be careful of doors, you were a little close to sweeping on stage 2 opening the door. my thing is when the weak hand comes off the gun the gun stays fairly high and pointed a bit to the right, weak hand can go down, push door, come back in towards the body then up to the gun. you were certainly ok, but as the gun and hands move past each other it can end in a sweeping call.

mainly I just noticed things that all of us do when we first start. like extra shots. especially at the end of stage 2 you tripled 2 targets in a row which meant you ran dry with only 2 shots left to make. you tripled quite a few other targets too and often it was the closer/easier targets. I used to do it too, but it's a bad habit. three super fast shots is not as fast nor as accurate as two well timed ones and it robs you of ammo for other targets. in production running 10 in a mag you can't afford to do that as it results in a bunch of standing reloads which just eat away at your HF.

Otherwise for a first match it was solid! well done. :)

I understand that this was your first match but you really need to practice your trigger finger discipline on your reloads. You need to get in the habit of indexing your trigger finger high on the frame and leaving it there until you have pressed the gun back out. Your reloads looked odd so I was using the pause button to move through them frame by frame. This is what I saw:

0:42 You cleared a malfunction with your finger in the trigger guard.

You need to watch your reloads at 0:59, 1:20-1:22, 1:31, 1:40, 2:30, and 3:09-3:10 frame by frame. In every case I believe your finger is inside the trigger guard to some extent. At 1:31 and 3:09 your finger is on the trigger for sure. I was going to post some still shots but apparently I am not smart enough to figure out how to do that.

I am not trying to discourage you in any way but you need to be aware of this so you can fix it before you have an AD or get a DQ (either of which would most certainly be discouraging).

Congrats on your first match, now it is time to get some dry fire practice in on those reloads :)

Edited by ToddKS

Fantastic photograpy and editing and captioning.

Very impressive. :bow:

Usually people show either themselves shooting, or

the targets, but not both.

And, showing the results at the end of each stage is

priceless - I watched you shoot the first stage, which

I thought was well shot - but was wondering if you

had hit anything.

Then, you posted the results of the first stage -

absolutely brilliant. :bow: :bow:

I thought you shot it very well for a new shooter,

except for the comments above (which are very

important points).

Good luck - hope I don't have to shoot against

you any time soon. :devil:

Great shooting. I noticed some grip adjustments after your draws/reloads. These can take up a large amount of time, and potentially affect your accuracy/speed after the draw/reload. Dry fire can easily remedy the problem though. Make sure you have 100% good grip every time you draw and reload during dry fire.

Very good for your first match! As beerbaron said watch those extra shots, I had a very bad habit of doing that for a long time. Many times there would be 3-4 As on one target so watch your results as you walk the scoring after you shoot. Being able to slow down a bit and try to call your shots will go a long way to helping solve the 'extra shot syndrome' and the 'fear of mikes'...

PS. After watching the 'world shoot' in Florida I noticed a lot of the GMs take extra shot but I assume they were necessary..