Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro Custom 18.9 147gr FP nosedive

accu9

Took the new 18.9 for a test drive last weekend and here are a few brief observations after about 300 rounds. The gun shoots quite well although with the factory recoil spring the slide feels sluggish, need to play with springs. I'm thinking 10# recoil coupled with a 17# main, what does everyone else prefer?

My 124gr 130pf reloads ran like a top, the 147 FP's were another story. The pistol absolutely will not run that profile regardless of OAL, lesson learned. Hopefully this will help someone else out.

What bullets are you using? I've run mine with some old 124gr Blue Bullets and 147g Bayous and both ran fine. I think the gun likes the 124's a little better though. I plan to leave things as they are until I get some more rounds through it and then I'll start tinkering with recoil springs.

• 2 weeks later...

I'am having a problem with my 18.9 pro it will run with bayou 147's loaded at 1.145 but can not get the 124tcg from bayou to work even going as short as 1.150 they all so good in check gauge . I am thinking the 124 are hitting the rifling? also wondering what oal. are ya'll loading 124's &147's

I found the throat on my 18.9 to be very short. Most rounds would hit the rifling at any above 1.100. Had Rich at CC ream it for me and now I can run up to 1.150 easily . Try the plunk test and load as long as possible . I run MG 147gr at 1.125 with no problems.

What bullets are you using? I've run mine with some old 124gr Blue Bullets and 147g Bayous and both ran fine. I think the gun likes the 124's a little better though. I plan to leave things as they are until I get some more rounds through it and then I'll start tinkering with recoil springs.

147gr blue bullets. The 147gr bayou bullets ran slightly better but still unacceptable.

I can see a throat ream in the very near future for me.

Edited by accu9

• 2 weeks later...

My P18 I got in 1999 runs with ammo loaded out to 1.200. I don't normally load it that long, but did when I changed my open gun from 38 Super to 9mm. I loaded them long to try to get them to run with the mid-90s series of 38 Super mags I already had. Never could get the Super mags to work with 9mm at any length.

With the 9mm mags that came with the P18, it would run with all the length 9mm I tested in the P18 and ran 38 supers in the Open gun. So the factory 9mm mags were good with either gun but the 38 Super mags only ran with in the open gun with Supers (or Super Comp).

I also have some STI for Para mags, a 140 and a 170, and neither are reliable enough for me to use in anything more than practice.

I have 3 Paras and like them but they do seem to be magazine picky at times.