Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2's in 9mm

Gdub

I've been eying Stock II's for a while. I know they are hard to almost impossible to find. My question is if I were to stumble on to one, how would I know if its a large frame or a small frame? Which is more desirable? I have small to medium sized hands and the CZ SP01 feels great in my hand so I'm guessing the small frame is the one I want.

Please fill me in.

Thanks,

Edited by Gdub

If a CZ feels great in your hands, you probably want a CZ.

I'm pretty sure all small and large Tanfo's have similar exterior size.

My buddy had a 9mm Stock II. Got an Accushadow as a backup. Ended up selling the Stock II because the CZ was a better fit for him (smaller hands). On the flip side, I don't care for his Accushadow and prefer my Limited & Stock II due to the larger grip.

My buddy had a 9mm Stock II. Got an Accushadow as a backup. Ended up selling the Stock II because the CZ was a better fit for him (smaller hands). On the flip side, I don't care for his Accushadow and prefer my Limited & Stock II due to the larger grip.

It's just a want thing I guess. I might not even like it once I get it.

It's just a want thing I guess. I might not even like it once I get it.

If you can throw down the coin for a Stock II just cuz you want it the cheers to you. I bought my first Stock II (and Tanfo style gun) earlier this year and couldn't be happier. I've shot CZ's and the Accushadow and by all means they are great guns but I just prefer the ergonomics of the Tanfo. I've always said if you could put the CZ trigger into a Stock II then one would have the best Production gun made. The grip and the front and backstrap hard checkering is the catch for me. I liked it so much that I now own 2 Stock II's in 9mm, Stock III and Limited HC in .40, a Gold Team in .38 Super, and my newest was delivered to my FFL yesterday, a Tanfo Steel framed 1911.

I don't think you'd go wrong with a Stock II but good luck finding one. You either need to be at the right place at the right time to find one whenever shipments come in or if someone decides to let theirs go but usually a lot of work and parts have been put into them so be prepared to pay top dollar. I was asked about selling one of my Stock II's and the price it'd take for me to let it go is far more than the $1000 that you can get if you are lucky to get one when a new shipment comes in.

So if I read it right I won't really feel a difference in either frame once either one is in my hand?
I have held both large and small framed tanfos, one was eric grauffel's gun at nationals 2 years ago, and I can tell a difference.

The small frame felt more like a cz frame, as in my hand felt squished together on the support hand side. The gripping area didn't seem as wide or spacious as my large frame stock 2 and 3 9mm.

That was about the only difference I could tell, but there was a felt difference between them. That is one of the reasons I sold all of my cz shadows. I have wide hands/palms but short fingers, I wear a large size mechanix glove though.

And there has to be some very minor other differences as well because the make small frame parts and large frame parts. If there wasn't any difference between them it would be one size fits all and that's not the case.

Edited by Prov1x