Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rock river

wingnut

Try $50 for a stripped lower receiver at Brownell's or AIM....

Mick

Not in my opinion unless it has a high dollar stock like an Ace Socom or Magpul PRS. If it's a Magpul Ctr or something similar, it's worth around $225.

Stripped lower $100
LPK $50
Stock, buffer, tube $75

Mick

Not in my opinion unless it has a high dollar stock like an Ace Socom or Magpul PRS. If it's a Magpul Ctr or something similar, it's worth around $225.

Stripped lower $100

LPK $50

Stock, buffer, tube $75

Yeah, I was being generous. I've seen them as low as $38.

Mick

Stripped lower $100

LPK $50

Stock, buffer, tube $75

Yeah, I was being generous. I've seen them as low as $38.

+1 Once the parts you don't like are replaced, you will be up well over $500 and the parts removed won't be worth much to resell. Better off buying a stripped lower and building what you want. Much cheaper in the long run.

What lower should I start with.

Start by checking with your LGS. Many times they will get a good buy on a batch and pass on savings. Personally, I would start with a milspec lower, not some exotic metal or billet job. You can go round and round about which roll mark is better, but ultimately, milspec will hold up and fitment of parts won't be an issue. The only advantage I see to building you own is a sense of accomplishment, and ability to install the exact parts you want such as furniture and trigger groups. Otherwise, there are several competent guns available for our game, such as Stag 3G, Doublestar, Armalite has a new offering, and I'm sure some others. Point being, unless you are absolutely positive of the exact components you want, it's probably easier to buy one already complete. I really don't think there is a significant cost savings associated with building vs. buying a quality rifle. But YMMV.

BOBs761. That is were I am at now. Would you have any thoughts on Barnes precision machine, They have a 3 gun model ready to go with some good reviews. I like what they did with the lower with the detents and the adjustment for the upper. thanks.

Wingnut, I have no experience with Barnes. But everyone is different. I like a rifle that feels like, well, a rifle. So I kept diddling with a standard milspec carbine until I had a fixed stock, and an 18" free floated barrel. I honestly can't say it will better, as in the original configuration it shot better than I can hold at my level. But there is a huge confidence boost that I believe I can shoot it better. Don't get too hung up on the brand, get the one that speaks to you. It boils down to the indian, and not the arrow. If the Barnes speaks to you, that's the one.

The Barnes spoke to me. And then Jolene in their office spoke some more and I was hooked. Weirdly enough she guessed inside of ten miles of where I live ten seconds into my first phone call just by my phone number. Not even a little relative to this conversation but I was still impressed a NC lady knew about my little IL neck of the woods.

Edited by TonytheTiger