Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor AR22 Practice 75 feet?

Just had a new indoor range open up about 20 minutes from where I live. Would like to work on my rifle skills. I have a M&P set up similar to my primary 3-gun. Anyone have any recommended drills I could do with the 22 on a 75 foot lane? What about target recommendations?

Thanks

Assuming you have a table to put the rifle on (rifle pistol)

Put a full size IPSC at 25 yards. Start rifle at low ready, 2 rounds to the head, rifle on safe on table, draw your pistol and 2 rounds to the body. Go as fast as you can, all you need to do it get hits

If there's no table you could still do this (rifle only)

Stick 6 blaze orange 2 inch dots in a horizontal row right next to each other, push them out to 25 yards and it will simulate shooting a 8 inch plate rack at 100 yard

Assuming you have a table to put the rifle on (rifle pistol)

Put a full size IPSC at 25 yards. Start rifle at low ready, 2 rounds to the head, rifle on safe on table, draw your pistol and 2 rounds to the body. Go as fast as you can, all you need to do it get hits

If there's no table you could still do this (rifle only)

Stick 6 blaze orange 2 inch dots in a horizontal row right next to each other, push them out to 25 yards and it will simulate shooting a 8 inch plate rack at 100 yard

Great advice if you want to train at an indoor range. 22's with the little shootnsee 2" dots are great plate rack practice. I put the 2" ones at 5 yards and shoot with my Ruger 22/45 which does a good job at simulating a rack.

Just ask the RO before, or have a conversation with them. Most indoor ranges have rules about drawing from concealment or a holster, as well as gun transitions. Some even limit the number of shots/no double taps... But if you explain your intentions to the staff they sometimes will allow you to run you drills at one of the far ends of the range.

Practice without using a support; standing, kneeling and sitting.

My skills are not so hot, so in our short range match, I try to shoot a lot standing. We use a barricade with some odd positions-variations of kneeling or sitting.

Since we run a once a month a .22 steel challenge match, my overall short range (20yrd) skills have improved-5 targets with emphasis on transitions.

• 3 weeks later...