Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting a comp'ed barrel kit

niroth81

I've got a new barrel to convert a limited custom into an open gun. I'm interest to hear peoples experience in fitting these barrels to the slide for a really tight fit. On most the back of the comp (where it meets the slide) needs to be fit for length, but what about hole that the slide stop runs through? Anyone ever needed to lower that hole slightly or extend it forwards to get a super tight barrel/slide lockup?

Also, I use engineering blue to see exactly where material needs to be removed but I read somewhere that it shouldn't be used because of the thickness that it adds to the surface of the item. Any truth to this?

Jase

it shouldn't be used because of the thickness that it adds to the surface of the item. Any truth to this?

Jase,

This sounds completely made up. I've never used dykem (I just use a felt pen), but as I understand it's just ink. Maybe and engineer can add more info.

As far as fitting, Tanfoglio replacement barrels are basically drop in with one file to fit pad right here:

IMG_5125_zps8e22bc95.jpg

I have a gunsmith fit Briley 6" 9mm barrel if you're looking for something which needs extensive fitting. I just never got around to using it because it need so much work.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Atlas, thanks for that info. I took it with a grain of salt anyway, otherwise engineers wouldn't use it, and yeah I've had occasion to use permanent marker too, works just as well.

Turns out the length from the first locking lug back to the breech face is absolutely perfect. A little grease and a heavy-ish recoil spring will make that even better.

The comp diameter and slide diameter is a bit of a concern though. 0.726" comp diameter and 0.732" slide diameter. I'd love to get a thundercomp but it seem they are impossible to get here in Australia so I'll have to hunt for something that's oversize so I can turn it down and fit it properly.

Cheers!

Yup, It's a comp/ed barrel kit from Tanfog. Be curious to see some other figures/dimensions. Both the barrels I have (both the same kit) measure the same. Measured the 2 standard barrels I have and they measure 0.726".

I think that sounds about right. I have to say I've noticed of the probably half a dozen or so gold teams/eric gold customs that I've played with that they did feel a little looser in general. But given the 2 cone barrels you have measure the same as the cone of the comp it's unlikely you have got 4 undersize!

That fit of the cone into the slide may seem a little loose, but don't forget when it's fully assembled the little bush that goes in to hold the recoil spring is part of the lock up too.

and of course there is no problem to use dyekem for fitting. You wouldn't be able to even measure anything it adds in thickness.

did you go with a ported barrel this time or comp only?

Yeah, undersize isn't the term I'd go for, just not a perfect fit. It obviously that way for a reason, Like nealio says maybe anything tighter would cause problems.

Can you explain how that plug affects the barrel/slide lockup?

Just a the 3 port comp. The wife wanted me to build her a gun identical to mine see she liked it so much.

as far as I know the plug/guide rod forms part of the lockup with the bottom part of the cone in the cone barrel/comp'd models. I've never investigated it further but one of the sales pitches for the extreme guide rods was that it improved lockup.

fair enough. sounds like you have been happy with yours. :)