Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory handgun case for flying?

First time flying with my handgun... Just curious if the S&W blue plastic handgun case is good enough to fly? Will the airline make a fuss about it because it is not "TSA approved"? Do we have a list of "TSA approved handgun case" for travel?

Thanks in advance.

there is no approved list of cases, it just has to meet the TSA Requirements I haven't played with one of the smith cases with a lock to see how hard they are to pry open, that said I would err on the side of caution and if I wasn't 100% confident I would get something better.

Edited by bikerburgess

• 2 months later...

It may be okay but metal lockable gun cases can be had inexpensively. I have something similar to this and it can fit 2 production guns in it no problem and this one is only $30. As much as I dislike almost all TSA rules and regulations, I like the idea of it being difficult for some baggage handler to go through my stuff. I wire the cable lock right though the spine of my luggage, would be a big pain in the ass to remove it without the key.

I have used factory cases with a locking hole. Never had a problem with TSA. However, this is inside of my suitcase, not just checking in the case.

I would recommend investing is a Pelican case for pistols. I've collected a serveral over the years, but found the 1600 to be a good size for pistols with some gear and ammo. You can always find them used for a decent price.