Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 40 for Limited

shel6977

I have been kicking around the idea of shooting some limited next season and was looking for some opinions. I have a M&P 9 Pro 5" that I shoot in production and it pulls double duty for when I shoot 3gun. I really like the look of the new Performance Center open guns. I think the only issue I would have with that gun in Limited would be the ported barrel. So I guess my thinking is that I could buy a M&P Pro 40 5" have the slide ported, put on a mag well, and I would be set for limited in 40, then when I shoot 3gun, swap my 5" 9mm upper to the 40 lower and switch base pads from 40 to 9mm magazines and I'm set. Or I could buy one of the open guns and buy non-ported barrel and run it in limited.

So I guess I am looking for anyone that is doing something along these lines for some advice. Does the slide porting to anything if the barrel isn't ported? If anyone has any input, good or bad in my thinking feel free to let me know. My only other idea for limited would be to look into a 2011 in 40 but that is more money than I think I want to invest being as I just started shooting last season and am a middle of the road to high C in production.

In retrospect and to expand upon my previous one word reply, barrel/slide porting on the M&P is of marginal value. It certainly doesn't qualify as an open gun, although technically it is.

I say this because porting anything is most effective when shooting hot ammo which should be generating lots of gas. And in this case, much hotter ammo than you would normally be shooting in the first place. A ported barrel and slide can never be equivalent to a well designed compensator. It just won't. And I make these statements based on the argument that this discussion is based on competition shooting.

The S&W Performance Center ported M&Ps are sexy as hell. But IMHO, it is all BS, marketing hype and quite frankly, there are better ways to spend your money.

Edited by JMike

I think he means just porting the slide, not the barrel. That's slide-lightening. As far as real benefits, it lightens the amount of reciprocating mass, and it makes you look like you know what you're doing. As far as real value, its up in the air. A lot of people tell you it will recoil differently, but having shot a number of lightened and not slides makes me think I can't really tell when the buzzer goes off. It looks cool, and I know that counts for a lot.

Yeah I was more wanting to know if the slide lightening did more than look good.

Are there really any mods to do to a M&P for limited other than trigger work, mag well, and sights? I know its the shooter not the gun but do the plastic guns compete with all the high dollar 2011's?

You are correct, it is the shooter. Just look at guys like Bob Vogel, who shoots a polymer and dominates.

I have both and personally, I prefer the 2011s. They just handle better and are heavier, which helps with recoil & split times.

Thanks for the advice. I would really like to get a Para 16-40 but it's not looking like they are ever going to hit the market. That's about the only one that I could justify in a 2011 since the price goes up quite a lot to get into the 2011 platform versus a M&P or Glock and I'm not a fan of Glocks at all.

There is always buying used, which can save you a significant amount of money. There are also the RIA Tactical 2011s. They are hard to find because RIA doesn't make very many on a yearly basis but they are available. Some of the RIA have feeding issues but that can be worked out.

Edited by JMike

I have a .40 pro 5" limited setup. Haven't screwed around with the slide since I seem to like it as is - but keep considering it. Last year I used it for 3gun - with the TTI extensions and my skill level I wasn't at much of a disadvantage by the 40 - mostly by my shooting. Next year (this winter) will play with a 9mm 'swap' for the top end - have a 4.25 9mm now and will look at a storm lake barrel for the 5" 40 and see which I like better. And practice. Lots of practice.

I have a 2 9mm pro, i shoot 1 ocassionally in limited and my wife shoots the other in limited. Mine has slide lightinging. It looks awsome but in reality i dont notice much difference between mine and my wifes, so i am not sure it bought me anything on my 9mm pro.

Just my 2 cents

I have several M&P match guns, including a 5" 9mm 3-Gun pistol and a near-identical 5" .40 Limited pistol. The .40 Limited gun is built heavier (brass mag well, tungsten guide rod), but otherwise handles the same as the 9mm. I did not bother to lighten the slide on either pistol. I also have a CORE 5" upper half with Magn-a-Port Quad-Porting, built for 3-Gun Open division, and with minor 9mm loads it definitely shoots softer than my unported 9mm pistol. Photos below:

MampPMatchGuns_zps4c065906.jpg
CORErocks_zps2d5ca77c.jpg