Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ezws2ps 1.0.4 Now Available

jcwren

The squadding feature in Ez is perhaps its only redeeming quality. Were we to run larger matches it might be something I would want to use. If you don't squad your shooters, there is no reason to use Ez.

If we were running a match with dedicated staff I could see it, as it is, we have trouble enough with people's advanced IT skill sets without having them have to find a squad.

Well, we squad to make it easier for folks to find their names for score entry in a subset list, rather than search through the entire match. Also, and this is the real reason for squadding, so that a big group of 20 or so buddies doesn't get together and become a bottleneck for the rest of the match.

Bill,

I never said we don't squad our shooters, we just don't break it out in the Nooks. Squads all get a master list for their squad where they can keep track of shooting order, DG reasons, early departures etc. We just don't break the list in the Nooks. I might try that, but it is just one more step and as I indicated earlier I try to keep the manipulation of the Nooks to a minimum. Find the shooter, score him, save it, next. Adding the step of finding your squad would introduce a serious chance of changing the stage instead of just the squad. If we ran with dedicated RO Staff, I would agree.

Bill,

I never said we don't squad our shooters, we just don't break it out in the Nooks. Squads all get a master list for their squad where they can keep track of shooting order, DG reasons, early departures etc. We just don't break the list in the Nooks. I might try that, but it is just one more step and as I indicated earlier I try to keep the manipulation of the Nooks to a minimum. Find the shooter, score him, save it, next. Adding the step of finding your squad would introduce a serious chance of changing the stage instead of just the squad. If we ran with dedicated RO Staff, I would agree.

One of the differences between regularly scoring a 70-100 competitor match, and a 250-300 competitor match.....

I can see why your approach works for club matches with embedded ROs......

.....and why Bill would want something different for a major match; and might choose to run local matches under the same principles for consistency's sake....

Aren't most major matches use one or another online self-squadding system? The one Ken's guys created can export to PS directly. Same goes for the MatchSignup one or even custom form on top of the Google docs spreadsheets...

One of the differences between regularly scoring a 70-100 competitor match, and a 250-300 competitor match.....

I can see why your approach works for club matches with embedded ROs......

.....and why Bill would want something different for a major match; and might choose to run local matches under the same principles for consistency's sake....

That is our regular local match plan.

Jcwren has a complete white paper and project plan written for running a major match which takes things to a whole other level. Maybe he'll put that out here. One person, of course, will completely dismiss it out of hand. But I'll just say that problems that plague other matches do not happen to us.

Edited by wgnoyes

Bill,

Well I do all the final squadding for the walkups in ezws after shooters have previously squadded themselves in shootnscoreit.com. Then export via the derided ezws2ps to the master ipad, sync from the master to the nooks, hand them out and go shoot. That way I, like you, keep the amount of actual nook twiddling down to nothing.

Bill, we are not so far apart. We don't use self squadding and I don't really want to get into it in public, suffice to say we have discussed it and for our match (Local) it is not an option we feel comfortable with.

One issue we have is with No-Shows. we regularly cut registration at 90 in the summer and 70 in the winter. We then allow for walk-ons. We usually have about that actual number shooting, however often we have 15-20 no-show and that many walk-ons and that screws up squadding. so we just pull it all together on Sunday morning and then load up and go shoot.

I will think about squadding in the Nooks, but so far that has not been our problem.

Self-squadding works very well for us and has presented no issues. People pretty much expect it now and it gives me that much less to do during onsite registration.

I determine the no-shows during the shooter's briefing and move them to squad 99. That way, if they come dragging in, I CAN accommodate them if so inclined and they can go play catch-up, telling the RO to look for them in the no-show squad. (I think I've had this happen once in 3 years.) Half way through the match, I go ahead and mark the confirmed no-shows as deleted on the master device and leave them as is on the stage devices.

We don't do walk-ons. If you can't get there by 10 am, you don't shoot. That's just our club's policy; others may do it differently.