Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

12.5" barrel, pigtail, and adjustable gas blocks.

sasquatch981

Has anyone tried this combo? Was thinking about trying this as it would appear to my lizard brain that the longer gas tube, coupled with the adjustable gas system would allow for a soft shooting AND that would not beat the crap out of the receiver.

I will also be running a sales 7.62 on this. Will the suppressor their a monkey into this wrench as well?

The pigtail is older technology. It will do almost the same thing as an adjustable gas block, I would get an adjustable gas block. You don't need both.

- I will also be running a sales 7.62 on this.

I don't know what a sales 7.62 is.

Will the suppressor their a monkey into this wrench as well?

- I have no idea what you are saying here.

A longer gas tube causes a softer impulse because more gas has to be compressed between the barrel and gas key. A shorter gas tube has less gas volume, and it gives a sharper recoil impulse.

An adjustable block adjusts the amount of gas entering the tube which minimizes the amount of gas used to throw the bolt rearward, but it doesn't change the length of tube or the volume of the gas having to be compressed.

DF: He's asking if a suppressor will affect this stuff.

Sasquatch, it will. But that's what the adj gas block is for. A suppressor causes increased back pressure which effectively increases the dwell time after the gas port in the barrel. This causes more gas to go into the receiver. If you use an adj gas block you decrease the amount of gas being used to throw the bolt back. It'll decrease the gas coming out of the charging handle area, make your receiver cleaner, and actually make your shots quieter.