Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 GAP Revisited

Foxbat

I haven't touched my Glock 37 in years, but I was going through my safe and decided to give it another spin.

So I dug out some reloads and went to the range. First impression - the comfortable grip. It is exactly the same size as the one on G17 or G22. I have large hands, but still, the grip of G21 is not the most comfortable things, so I immediately appreciated the 37-th smaller grip. The only noticeable difference with G22 is slightly wider slide, but you have to look carefully to spot it.

I shot it side-by-side with G22, to get the relative feel, and the difference was immediately noticeable - it shot soooo much softer, it was almost like shooting a small caliber, even though the ammo has PF of 180.

Needless to say, it functioned perfectly, as Glocks usually do.

So I cleaned a couple thousand cases last night, and decided to load more ammo, probably using the 230gr bullets this time - my older reloads used 200gr.

I fully realize the caliber is all but dead, but I am, for one, sorry to see that... I think it made a perfect gun for someone with smaller hand who still wants large caliber.

• 4 weeks later...

If someone has interest in reloading this cartridge, I developed a couple of soft shooting loads, using Unique powder.

The first one used the Reinier 185 grain bullet, and 7.0 grains of powder. Produced 976 fps out of Glock 37.

Same bullet with 6.5 grains produced 903 fps.

I then used the 230gr Winchester bullets, and with 4.9 grains got 764 fps. Overall length was 1.120", slightly longer than the recommended, but worked flawlessly.

• 9 months later...

Another very pleasant load is Zero 230gr FMJ bullet, with 4.9gr of Power Pistol - shoots softly at 700fps.

Old post but thought I would ping you about your G37. I have also dusted off the gun and want to shoot it again. I bought one just to shoot at a Glock shoot and try to win another gun. Did not work, but I did loan it to a buddy who was going to another state to shoot a match and back then you got an extra chance at winning something and he did with my gun. Did he give me anything, NO, not even a T-Shirt. I bought 500 cases from Starline, so thought it was time to put them to use.

• 3 weeks later...